Recording a Narrated Camtasia File
After you have prepared your computer and headset for Camtasia, you are ready to record. If you have not prepared your computer or headset, refer to Setting up Your Computer for Camtasia and Connecting and Adjusting Your Headset for Camtasia
Preparing for Your Recording Session
Decide what portion of your screen you would like to record. Camtasia Studio can record either the Full Screen or a Custom screen area.
- From Camtasia Recorder, click either the Full Screen or the Custom button in the Select Area menu box.
- To select a Custom Screen Region:
- Click the Custom selection button.
- Choose either specific dimensions to record or use the cross hair select tool to click and drag to highlight the area you wish to record
- Decide whether you would like to record just your voice narration, or whether mouse click sounds should also be recorded. To record mouse clicks:
- Click the Effects menu
- Select Sound from the drop down menu
- Select Mouse Click Sounds from the drop down menu.
- If you want to have your mouse cursor recorded, select the appropriate settings from the Cursor Effects options. To record the mouse cursor:
- Click the Effects menu
- Select Cursor from the drop down menu
- Select the desired recording style from the drop down menu.
If you plan to use your mouse cursor as a point of reference so that students can see where you are navigating in your presentation, you might want to highlight it yellow or have it turn red when you click so it is easily visible to the people watching your video. You can change the appearance of Cursor highlighting and clicking by navigating to Effects > Options and changing your preferences on the Cursor tab.
- Prepare the webpage, document, or PowerPoint presentation you plan to record.
When preparing to record a PowerPoint presentation, start your slideshow so that Camtasia does not record you setting up the show.
- Press F9 when you are ready to start recording. Camtasia will provide you with a three second countdown to allow you to prepare for recording.
- If you are recording a screen region, you will be able to see the borders of what is being recorded as an indicator. However, if you are in full screen mode the recording indicator will be located in your system tray.
- If you are recording only a region of the screen, you will notice a little toolbar on your screen with play controls. This toolbar will not be visible in the final recording.
- Speak into your microphone to narrate your presentation.
- Press F9 or the Pause button to pause recording. Repeating this will also resume recording.
- Press F10 or the Stop button to stop recording.
Record a short test video clip of a few seconds before recording your actual clip. This will make sure your audio settings are working properly and everything sounds and looks the way you want it to before you begin recording your "real" file.
- When you are done recording, your video will play back in a preview window. At the bottom of the window is a series of buttons, Save, Delete, Edit, and Produce. Select the Save button to save your file. You will be prompted to save the file to your computer. Browse to where you want to save the file and select Save again. The file will save as a .camrec file, which is a Camtasia Recording file. You should keep a copy of this file in case you decide to edit it later.
- After the .camrec file has been saved, you will then be given the option to record again.
Producing your video
Since .camrec is a proprietary format you will need to produce the video in a shareable format. Please see Producing a Narrated Camtasia File for more information on producing your video.
Maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: Sep 29, 2009, 13:37 EDT