Using ATC Digital Cameras - Nikon Coolpix 4300
Digital cameras can be borrowed from the ATC. Visit the ATC in Fuller Labs, call x5220, or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for information on borrowing a digital camera.
Preparing the Nikon Coolpix 4300 for Taking Photos
- Insert the battery into the battery compartment on the camera. The battery compartment is located on the bottom of the camera.
- Insert the memory card into the camera. The memory card slot is on the right side of the camera, if holding the camera as you would normally to take a photo.
- Remove the lens cap from the camera.
- Turn the dial mode on the top of the camera to the boxed "A" with a camera icon right next to it.
- Power the camera on. The lens may zoom out and you will see a blinking green light on the back of the camera indicating that it is in the process of becoming ready to take photos.
You should have received a Nikon lithium battery from the ATC when you checked out the camera. If you did not receive a battery, or if the battery seems to be dead, contact the ATC.
- Now that the camera is on, you should be able to see through the small monitor through the back of the camera. If it is very bright outside and you cannot see your image, you can also look through the view finder to frame your image shot.
- To zoom in and out, press the "T" and "W" buttons.
- To take the photograph, press down on the shutter button on the top of the camera.
- After the photo has taken, you see the picture momentarily on the camera monitor. If you did not get a chance to review your picture before it disappeared, you can press the back arrow button on the back of the camera to review your last photo.
- To change flash settings, press the "flash" button on the rear of the camera, below the monitor.
- Power off the camera when you are finished taking pictures.
Downloading Photos from the Camera to Your PC
- Eject the memory card from the camera. To do this, open the memory card slot door and press the small, rectangular "Eject" button next to the memory card. This partially ejects the card so that you can remove the card by hand.
- Connect the USB cord to the SanDisk ImageMate Reader that you should have received with the digital camera.
- Plug the other end of the USB cord into an available USB slot on your computer.
- Place the memory card from the camera into the front slot of the SanDisk Reader.
- Your computer should read the memory card as a Removable Media Drive.
- Open this drive and navigate through DCIM > 100NIKON to get to the JPEG images the camera took.
- Drag these files to a folder on your PC to copy the images from the camera to your PC.
- When you have finished copying all the pictures to your PC, delete them all from the camera by dragging them to your PC’s Recycle Bin on your desktop. Confirm the delete.
- You can now eject the memory card from the SanDisk reader and disconnect the reader from your PC.
Last modified: Jan 30, 2006, 11:19 EST