Accessing and Downloading Files
Often, instructors post lectures and homework assignments in myWPI course sites for students to view and download.
After you log in, go to the myWPI site for the class you want to download files from. Click on the appropriate section in the course menu. Most instructors use the Course Materials and Assignments areas most often.
After selecting a link in the course menu, you'll see a page with a list of content. There could be both folders and downloadable documents in this list. If you can't find a file, try searching though any listed folders, or try looking under another category in the course menu.
In this example, some course materials are located in Course Materials.
Microsoft Word Files (.doc)
- Most documents can be viewed online or downloaded. For example, professors often post their syllabus as a Microsoft Word file. To work with a Microsoft Word file, select the filename or link name under the document title.
- You will be prompted to Open or Download the file. Pick whichever option you prefer and confirm your selection. This process is similar for most common web browsers.
If you are using an older version of Internet Explorer, the file may open automatically without showing the dialog box. If you are not using Internet Explorer, you may get a different prompt to save the file.
- To open the file directly in Microsoft Word, use the Save option in the dialog box, or right-click the file link and choose Save File As... or Save Target As.... This saves the file to your hard drive. This option is best for downloading assignment files or adding in your own notes.
Portable Document Format (PDF) Files
PDF files are commonly used and read with the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. PDF files open in a new window or tab outside of myWPI, or they can be downloaded as in the previous example to be read offline or printed.
- Select the filename of the PDF file to open it.
- The PDF file opens in a new window. You can use the Save and Print buttons in the PDF toolbar to save or print the file.
If you want to save the PDF file without opening it first, right-click the file link instead and choose Save File As..., Save Link As... or Save Target As.... This saves the file to your hard drive.
Microsoft PowerPoint Files (.ppt)
- To view a PowerPoint file inside myWPI, select the link with the filename. The first slide should appear inside myWPI, to the right of the menu, similar to how the Word file appears. Click to advance the slideshow. To return to the course, select an item from the course menu, such as Course Materials.
- To download the slides instead of viewing them online, right-click on the file link, then choose Save Target As... or Save File As... and follow the prompts to download.
Other File Types
- To download other file types, right-click on the file link, then choose Save Target As..., Save Link As... or Save File As... and follow the prompts to download. Depending on the file type, you may need additional software to open a file, such as Matlab, Maple or CAD files. Most courses use software that is licensed to WPI, but some programs may only be available in certain areas, such as a computer lab. Check with your professor if you are unsure of which program they are using to create files.
Last modified: Jul 03, 2012, 12:11 EDT