SafeAssign: The Plagiarism Prevention Tool
SafeAssign is a plagiarism prevention tool that is integrated with myWPI and allows for online assignment submission. It prevents plagiarism by detecting unoriginal content in student papers. SafeAssign compares submitted papers across the following sources:
- Internet - a comprehensive index of documents available for public access on the Internet.
- ProQuest ABI/Inform database with over 1,100 publication titles and 2.6 million articles from the 1990s to the present time.
- Institutional database - all papers submitted through SafeAssign are added to a WPI database of submitted papers, against which new submissions are compared.
- Global Reference Database - students have the option of submitting their papers to a global database of papers from all institutions using SafeAssign, against which new submissions are compared.
SafeAssign creates an originality report for instructors for every submitted paper that details the results of the matching process. Instructors can then decide for themselves whether the flagged text in each paper constitutes plagiarism.
When you use the SafeAssign tool for assignment submission, students see a statement alerting them to the fact that the assignment will be checked for plagiarism and they are provided with a link to WPI's Academic Honesty Policy.
Creating a SafeAssign Assignment
You can now use SafeAssign plagiarism checking for any of your assignments.
When using SafeAssign, assignments are created within a content area (such as Course Materials) and the submitted files are viewable and downloadable from the Gradebook.
- On the Create Assignment page, expand Submission Details.
- Select Check submissions for plagiarism using SafeAssign.
- Optionally, select one or both options:
- Allow students to view the SafeAssign originality reports on their submissions.
- Exclude all student submissions for this assignment from the institutional or global reference databases.
Note:A complete guide to grading assignments can be found here: [link] and can be used to grade any SafeAssignment. Read below to learn how to check for plagarism using SafeAssign and grade simultaneously.
- Go to Control Panel > Grade Center > Full Grade Center.
- Each submission must be opened individually from the Grade Center. In the appropriate column, click the dropdown link next to the assignment you wish to grade and click on the attempt that you want to grade.
- Details about the attempt will open up. You can change the grade and comments from this page and see a percentage of the paper that was deemed suspicious by SafeAssign. Click on the check mark icon to get more details on suspected sources and text.
- Text: Click the icon to view a student's paper and comments from the student.
- File: Click the icon to view the actual file submitted by the student.
- Matching: Indicates the percentage of the paper that matches other sources.
- SA Report: Click the icon to view the full SafeAssign report. For information on interpreting the report, see SafeAssign Interpret Reports.
- Submitted: Indicates the date and time the assignment was submitted.
- Clear Attempt: Click the Clear Attempt button if a student made an error submitting the assignment and needs to submit again.
- In 3. Modify Grade, enter the grade for the student.
- Finally, you can return comments to the student by either entering them in the text box below Feedback to Student or attach a file below the text box.
Submitted papers are queued for checking in the SafeAssign tool. It may take several minutes for a paper to be checked. If you do not see a Matching score or a SA Report icon, the paper is still queued for checking. Check back later to get the information.
If you want to download all student papers at once, you can do so through the SafeAssign tool. However, you cannot download all SafeAssign reports and you will still have to view each report individually online. To download all papers:
- Go to Control Panel > Course Tools > SafeAssign.
- Click View for the appropriate assignment.
- Click the Download button to download the files in one Zip file.
Last modified: Jan 23, 2015, 14:06 EST