Creating Assignments with the Assignment Manager
Submitting assignment files in myWPI is a convenient alternative to having students send assignment files via e-mail. Assignment files are stored in myWPI instead of in an instructor's or TA's mailbox, are scanned for viruses by the myWPI server, and are marked with a timestamp. The Assignment Manager is the tool in myWPI for managing assignments. Assignments are created within content areas. The tool features batch assignment downloading and Grade Center integration, so it is easy to match submitted files to individual students.
In the Assignment Manager, assignments are created within a content area (such as Course Materials) and the submitted files are downloaded from the Grade Center.
Creating an Assignment
- To set up an assignment, go to the Control Panel view or the Edit View of the content area you want to post the assignment in.
- In the toolbar, select Assignment from the dropdown menu and click Go.
The Add Assignment page appears with four sections.
Section 1: Assignment Information
- In the Name field, enter the name of the assignment.
Do not include special characters in your Assignment Name. Spaces, dashes, and underscores are acceptable, but other characters (i.e. #, %, $, etc.) can cause problems when downloading Assignments.
- In the Points Possible field, enter the maximum number of points students can earn on the assignment. This is the point value that is used for the Grade Center column.
- If you want to specify a due date, click the checkbox in the Due Date field and select the date from the dropdown menus.
- Type any instructions or notes into the Instructions box.
Section 2: Assignment Files
If you have an assignment file for students to download, such as a worksheet that needs to be filled in, click Browse to locate the file you want to attach and enter a name for the file in the Name of Link to File field. If you do not have any files to attach, skip this section.
Section 3: Options
- To make the assignment available immediately, click Yes in the Make the assignment available field.
- If you want to track student access to the assignment, click Yes in the Track number of views field.
- If you want the assignment available only for a specific time period, click the checkboxes for Display After and Display Until and select the appropriate dates from the dropdown menus.
Section 4: Submit
- Click Submit to finish creating the assignment.
The Assignment Manager only allows students to submit files once. To make sure your students understand how to submit assignments, post a low-stakes or ungraded assignment for them to "test-run" the feature before using it in a regular assignment.
To minimize student questions, post a link to the help page for students in the content area where you are posting assignments. The Student How-to Center: Assignment Manager page also features an animated tutorial to "walk" students through the process. Refer to the Adding an External Link (URL) topic for instructions on posting a link to your course site.
After posting an assignment, it appears in the content area with a link for students to view and complete the assignment. A column is added to the Grade Center. You can view and download files, offer feedback to individual students, and post grades via the Grade Center. When you are ready to download the assignment files, refer to the Downloading Student Files from the Assignment Manager topic.
Student view of assignments created with the Assignment Manager
Last modified: Aug 05, 2008, 08:55 EDT