Working With Folders in myWPI
Items and Folders are the "containers" for your content. Items typically contain text notes and/or file attachments, and Folders are used to organize Items and other content. Folders are similar to folders in your computer operating system in the sense that they contain and organize content, but work much differently in myWPI.
- To add a Folder to a Content Area:
Go to Control Panel > Content Areas.
- Select the name of the Content Area you want to add a Folder to, such as Course Materials.
- Select the Folder button in the Add toolbar.
- Type in a title for the Folder under Name.
- Choose Color of Name: If you want to change the title color, use the Pick button to select a color. Otherwise, the default is black.
- Type in any text-based content into the Text box. Format the text, if desired, using the text editing tools.
Another way to add a folder is to click directly on the desired content area from the menu. Click Edit View in the top right of your screen to give you the same view you would get by going through the Control Panel. You can then select the Folder button from the toolbar.
Section 1: Folder Information
Section 2: Options
These options are for adding visibility or date options:
- Making a folder invisible to students: Select the No radio button under Make the content available. With this option, the item remains invisible to students until you modify it and make it available.
- Choose date and time restrictions sets a specific time for document visibility. For example, you could set a folder that contains a take-home exam to only be available for a limited time. Use the Display After and Display Until checkboxes to set your start and end dates, then use the dropdown menus to set your date(s).
Section 3: Submit
- Click Submit to create the folder and save your changes.
Placing Materials into a Folder
Creating a New Item or Sub-Folder Inside a Folder
- Start from the Control Panel view of the folder you want to work with. For example: Course Materials > Folder1.
- Select the folder name to open the folder. Once inside the folder, you can add items, folders, and other content types.
- Choose what you want to add from the toolbar (Item, Folder, etc.) and fill in the information, just as you would if you were adding it to the top level of a content area.
If you are adding several items to a content area it is a good idea to organize them into folders. It is easier to create the folders before adding the content. Be careful not to have too many folders within folders, which buries content.
Maintained by email@example.com
Last modified: Jun 04, 2007, 13:08 EDT