Setting up the Course Menu and Site Features
Viewing the Current Menu Options
- Go to Control Panel > Course Options
> Manage Course Menu. The current menu will be displayed.
Re-Ordering the Menu
- Use the numbered dropdown boxes to re-order menu items. The number you select will be the new position of the menu item you are moving. Select OK when finished.
Renaming a Menu Item
- On the Manage Course Menu page, click the Modify button next to the menu item you want to rename.
- In the Name field, enter a new name and click Submit.
Renaming a Course Tools link DOES NOT rename the Tool in the Control Panel.
For example, if you renamed Staff Information to be Course Staff, the menu item will appear as Course Staff from the Student view but will still be called Staff Information from the Control Panel.
Adding a new Item to the Menu
- To add a new Menu item, choose the button for the type of Menu Item you wish to add. The Menu types are:
- Content Area (Course content, such as uploaded files)
- Tool Area (Links to an individual communication tool area, such as Announcements)
- Course Link (Links within a course)
- External Link (Link to any external website or URL)
Adding a Content Area
- Click the Add Content Area button.
- Choose a Name from the dropdown box, or type in your own.
- If you want guest access, check the Allow guest access box.
- To make the area available to Students/participants, check the Available for Student/Participant users box.
You may not have two Content Areas with the same name. If a duplicate name is entered, the system prompts you to change the name of the new area.
Adding a Tool or Communication Area
- Click the Tool Link button.
- Select the Type from the dropdown box. Tools may be linked individually pr as groups (such as Communications Area or Tools Area) or a combination of both, depending on your needs.
- Available Area types include:
- Address Book
- Blog Tool
- CPS Connection
- Collaboration (Chat and Shared Whiteboard tools)
- Communications Area (One area with links to multiple communication tools)
- Discussion Board
- Manual (Official Blackboard Manual)
- My Grades (Student Gradebook)
- Roster (Unofficial class list, used by students; links to Student Homepages)
- Staff Information
- Tools Area (One area with links to multiple communication tools)
- Wiki Tool
- Create a Tools or Communications Area as above.
- Under Manage Course Menu, click the Modify button for the Tools or Communication Area.
- Select the radio buttons for Enabled or Disabled for each Tool or Communication Area.
All Tools and Communication Area links are enabled in a new course by default, or after creating a new Tool or Communication Area
Adding a Course Link
- Click the Course Link button.
- In the Name field, enter a name.
- At the Location field, click Browse to browse for the link's location. The course map appears in a new window. Expand the course areas, if necessary, by clicking on the "+". Click on the item you want to link to.
- Click Submit when finished.
Adding an External Link
- Click the External Link button.
- In the Name field, enter a name.
- In the URL field, type in the URL (URL's must be properly formatted, e.g. http://...).
- Check the boxes for options you wish to add:
- Open in a new window
- Allow guest access
- Allow Observer access
- Available for Student/Participant users
Guest and Student Access to Menu Items
- From the Manage Course Menu page, select the Modify button next to the Menu Item you want to modify access to
- To allow/disallow guest access, check/uncheck the box appropriately for Allow guest access:
- To allow/disallow Student/Participant access, check/uncheck the box appropriately for Available for Student/Participant users:
Removing a Menu Item (NOT RECOMMENDED!)
Removing a Content Area Menu Item removes ALL content in the menu item. If you do not want students to see a menu item, make it unavailable instead.
If you would like to consult with the help team prior to removing an item e-mail the help team at email@example.com.Maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: Aug 05, 2008, 08:51 EDT