Using Blogs in myWPI
There are two types of blogs available in course sites:
- Blogs in content areas - These can be individual or group blogs. They can be found in content areas, perhaps in folders.
- Central Course Blog - This blog is found in the Tools area of the course. By default, only the instructor can edit and create entries, but the instructor may reconfigure the blog to allow students to edit and create entries as well.
Both types of blogs are used in the same way.
Using a Blog
Locate the blog in your course. A blog in a content area is displayed similarly to other items. Click the View link to enter the blog.
To access the Central Course Blog, click on Course Tools below the course menu and then click on Blog Tool.
Use of the blog is accomplished using the options in the column on the right side of the blog.
Entries appear in reverse chronological order.
Entries by Date
Entries can be viewed for a specific date. In the calendar on the right, a date is linked if entries were made on that date. To see the entries for that date, click on the date.
Entries by Author
If you are participating in a group blog or in the Central Course Blog with student access, you can view the entries made only by a specific person. In the Filters area on the right, select an author from the by dropdown menu.
Making a New Entry
- Click new entry under the Actions heading in the right column. The screen changes to display fields for making new entries.
- The Blog Entry Title is automatically populated with the current date. You can change the title to anything you want.
- Type your entry in the text area. Note that the text editing options allow you to create tables, enter images, add links to other pages or URLs, attach files, and format your text.
- Click Save to save your entry.
Commenting on an Entry
- Click on the Comments link below an entry. If a comment already exits for an entry, a number appears with the Comments link.
- Type your comment in the Add Comment box and click Add Comment.
Printing a Blog
- If you want to print the blog entries, display the entries you want to print using the appropriate options for viewing entries.
- Click the print link on the right. If you want to print the comments in addition to the entries, click the w/ comments link. A webpage opens in a separate window with the entries and comments displayed. Print the page as you would print any webpage.
Exporting a Blog
- If you want to save the blog entries after the course ends, click the Export site link. The entries will be downloaded in a zip file.
- Click Open or Save depending on what you want to do.
- When the zip file is opened, you'll see an html file for each entry, as well as an index.html file that lists and links to all of the entries.
You need to have zip software on your computer in order to use zip files. WinZip is a popular and widely available application on campus. If you need help with zip files, contact the Helpdesk.
Last modified: Jan 18, 2008, 16:15 EST