Lightweight Chat: Using the Tool (Basic)
If you have not joined a Chat Session yet, please see instructions on Lightweight Chat: Creating and Joining Sessions.
The chat session opens in a new window. On the left side of this chat window is a Participant listing showing users who have joined the chat session. Roles are also indicated, moderators with a small globe icon, and students with an icon of a person's head. The Chat Area is on the right side of the Chat Session.
Participant and Chat Area
If you attempt to browse through other areas in your course myWPI site during a chat session, it automatically closes the Chat Tool. You should not browse other pages in myWPI until you are ready to end the session or you will have to rejoin.
- In the Compose field, type your text message. When you are ready to
send your message to all session participants, click the Send button or
press the "Return" key on your keyboard.
Recording Chat Sessions
The Record Menu allows the moderator to record and store the chat session for future reference. By default, all recordings are also made available to students, although instructors can manage the recordings by accessing them from Control Panel > Course Tools > Collaboration Tools > Recordings (button).
- In the chat session, click the Record button.
- To stop or pause the recording, click the appropriate buttons.
- To view the recordings at a later time, go to Communications > Collaboration.
- Click Recordings next to the session you recorded and want to review.
Clearing the Chat Area
- If you want to refresh the chat area, click the Clear button in the session window.
- Select whether you would like to clear only your display window or the display windows of all participants.
- Click OK to clear.
Ending a Chat Session
- Click the End button in the chat session . This closes the chat session for all participants.
Last modified: May 18, 2007, 13:28 EDT