Importing Files in Other Formats
Benefits of importing files in other formats into Microsoft Word 2007:
- If the object is too complicated to be created directly in Word, such as an equation for example, it can still be included in the document, even though it was created in a different program.
- Rather than referring a reader to an external source, file, or object, you can embed all or parts of that file directly into your document.
Embedding Images in Your Document
- Put your cursor at the desired location in your document where you would like to insert an image.
- From the Insert tab, select Picture.
- An Insert Picture window opens. Browse for the image on your PC.
- When you have finished browsing, select OK. The image should now appear at the desired location in your document.
Embedding Other Files Formats into Your Document
The instructions below are for non-media content-type files only. If you have media that you would like to embed into your document, such as a sound or video clip, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance in streaming these files via the ATCís media server.
- Put your cursor at the desired location in your document where you would like to insert an object.
- From the Insert tab, select Object.
- Select the Create from File tab and Browse for your file on your local PC.
- Select the Link to file checkbox so that the file contents appear directly in your file.
- When you have finished, select OK. The file contents appears at the desired location in your document.
Examples of Supported File Formats
- Picture files including JPEG, GIF & BMP
- Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
- Microsoft PowerPoint slides
- Adobe PDF documents
Why canít I insert a sound or video clip into my document?
Typically, sound and video file sizes are too large for Microsoft Word to embed directly in the file. Instead, shortcuts are embedded, linking to the original file on the authorís PC. If you attempt to upload your document to myWPI, it will upload without the linked files and readers will not be able to play the sound or video clip. The ATC can assist you with embedding multimedia that is stored on a streaming media server. Instead of shortcuts to a directory, the shortcut will be to a web link, which any user can play with an Internet connection.Maintained by email@example.com
Last modified: Aug 21, 2008, 11:43 EDT