WPI Computer Account Overview
January 22, 2007
Overwhelmed by your different WPI computer accounts? The following summary may help clarify the various types of accounts you have at WPI:
Unix is an operating environment and houses applications used to support coursework and research, as well as many of the network-based services provided to the WPI Community. Your UNIX username can be up to 8 characters long, and may consist of lowercase letters, numbers, and most special characters. It must also be a unique username that nobody else at WPI has. Your UNIX account determines your e-mail address (i.e. John Doe's UNIX account may be jdoe, therefore his e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.) The Basic UNIX Commands page will help you get started.
The UNIX username and password grant access to:
- E-mail (unless you use one of the Exchange servers for e-mail)
- Personal Web Pages
- UNIX & Linux Systems
- UNIX Terminals around Campus
- Personal Network Share (file storage on WPI's servers)
- All other UNIX applications and software
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) for off-campus secure connections and drive mapping
- Oracle/Banner - Oracle is a database management information system. Banner is the tool used to access the information stored in the database. This information includes services for finance, payroll, admissions, financial aid and registration/academic history, and alumni.
The ADMIN account is used by faculty and staff to access the ADMIN domain resources such as administrative file shares and printers. It also supports the Microsoft Exchange e-mail system (exchange.wpi.edu), allowing for the sharing of information (calendars, e-mail, web interface, etc.) over the network. In addition, specialized academic and office productivity software is available through the ADMIN domain using this account.
The ADMIN username and password grant access to:
- CCC Public Labs, Electronic Classrooms & Office Desktop Computers
- Mapping Network Drives
- Network Software Installs
- E-mail via the ADMIN Exchange Account
The myWPI account gives students, faculty and staff access to myWPI, WPI's learning and information portal. This account is automatically created 24 hours after a UNIX account is established. First time users must be sure to activate the myWPI account and may not be able to gain access until just before classes begin.
The myWPI login and password grants access to:
- Course Material (Announcements, Discussion Boards, Assignments, Grades, Etc.) (If utilized by the Professor)
- Tech News Articles
- WPI Event Information
- WPI Organizations
Visit the CCC Helpdesk page on WPI Computer Accounts for more information.Maintained by email@example.com
Last modified: Mar 29, 2007, 10:42 EDT