General E-mail Information
Official email sent to you, as either faculty, staff or student of WPI, will be sent to your email@example.com. This email address will be used for university announcements, class notices, etc.
- Exchange Mail: New faculty, staff and students are given an Exchange account as part of the account creation process. This allows access to the Global Address List, shared calendars, contacts, and various additional capabilities. Access via:
- Outlook client with Exchange - see the Exchange Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Outlook Web Access (OWA)
- If your department requires reading email via a different protocol, such as Unix mail, please contact the Helpdesk
Additional E-mail Information
Is there an e-mail message size limit?
Yes. The e-mail virus scanner limits message sizes to 20MB. Any message larger than 20MB will not be delivered and may bounce back to the sender. The 20MB limit is for the actual message size. Attachments must be encoded into a form that standard mail servers can handle and because of this, the size of binary attachments increases by approximately one third. This causes a 15MB e-mail to expand to 20MB. Thus, WPI e-mail users can only send or receive e-mail attachments that are 15MB or smaller.
What other e-mail resources are available?
The CCC can help you set up the following things:
- Forwarding your e-mail to another location.
- Notifying your e-mail correspondents that you are on vacation.
- E-mailing your advisees.
- Standing List Management for campus notification lists.
Last modified: Nov 26, 2013, 16:50 EST