Upgrading Windows XP: Home Edition to Professional Edition
Notice: Some custom vendor (Dell, Compaq, etc.) applications must be reinstalled after an upgrade to Professional edition. Please refer to your computers manufacturer for model specific upgrade information.
- Insert Windows XP Professional CD.
- If you have Autorun enabled you will see the following window. Otherwise go to:
- Type d:\setup and click OK (where d:\ is the drive letter of your CD/DVD-ROM drive)
- Select Install Windows XP. This will bring up the following window:
- From here select Upgrade as the Installation Type and click Next. You will then be presented with the following screen:
- At this point you will be prompted to enter your Product License Key.
This should be contained somewhere on the packaging that came with your Windows XP
Please enter in your Product License Key and then press Next.
- The final step before beginning the actual updating is to choose Yes, download the updated Setup files (Recommended). If you have an internet connection already you should do this to ensure that your copy of Windows XP will be fully up to date after installation.
- Run Windows Update in order to be sure your system has the most up-to-date files possible.
Last modified: Aug 12, 2009, 13:47 EDT