Removing Default Network Shares in Windows XP
Windows XP openly shares a folder by default at installation(Shareddocs). These shared folders are usually not needed, and can allow other people to gain access to your machine and possibly download your personal files. To close this share, users must take the following actions:
- Double-click on My Network Places (If there is no icon on the Desktop
for My Network Places, click on the Start menu and click on My Network Places
in the menu that appears)
- Click on Folders in the Toolbar across the top of the screen that appears.
- Click on the + (plus sign) to the left of My Computer.
- Right click on Shared Documents in the list that appears beneath My Computer.
- Click on Properties at the bottom of the menu that appears.
- In the Properties window, click on the Sharing tab at the top. Uncheck the box to the left of Share this folder on the network.
- Click the Apply followed by the OK button.
Last modified: Aug 05, 2003, 11:20 EDT