Windows 8 Deployment at WPI
Windows 8 is the latest version of Microsoft's Operating System. WPI Information Technology has limited support for Windows 8 for use at WPI. Academic software packages used at WPI are currrently being tested for support for Windows 8.
If you have further questions on this please contact the email@example.com.
Below are frequently asked questions about Windows 8:
Q: Is Windows 8 supported on the WPI Campus?
A: At this time we provide limited support for Windows 8. While most academic software and network resources will work with Windows 8, not all vendors have upgraded software, hardware, or drivers to fully support Windows 8. In situations where we cannot support Windows 8, we have other options such as public computer labs and remote virtual labs to provide access to academic resources.
Q: What support is available for systems with Windows 8?
A: Below is a summary of the supported and unsupported areas for Windows 8 at this time. As we complete testing and confirm areas of support for Windows 8 we will update these pages.
- Wired Internet: Windows 8 systems may be registered for wired ethernet connections on our network via NetReg.
- Wireless Internet: Windows 8 systems may be configured using the WPI Wireless Certificate Tool from NetOps.
- VPN: The VPN is supported on Windows 8 but will not work on Windows RT devices, such as Microsoft Surface.
- Business and Academic Applications: We are currently evaluating application support for Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10. Both Office 2010 and Office 2013 are confirmed to work with Windows 8. A larger list of software will be provided at a later date.
Q: What editions of Windows 8 are supported?
A: With Windows 8 there are three main versions. Support for any version is not available at this time, but we are providing guidance based on our expected long term support:
- Windows RT: Windows RT is a tablet specific version of Windows 8 and will not support any academic software. RT will only support Apps from the Microsoft store. Users should consider a Windows RT device as they would an iPad or an Android tablet.
- Windows 8 (32-bit/64-bit): This version is equivilent to Windows 7 Home Edition. Our plan is to support this verison.
- Windows 8 Pro (32-bit/64-bit): This version is equivilent to Windows 7 Professional Edition. Our plan is to support this verison.
Last modified: Jul 22, 2013, 14:54 EDT