Microsoft Office 2007
Microsoft Office 2007 is the latest version of Micrsoft's popular office productivity suite. This page will provide information about our support for Office 2007. For a demo of the new features you can go to Microsoft's site.
Office 2007 Frequently Asked Questions
- Where do I get Office 2007?
- What are the known issues with upgrading to Office 2007?
- How do I find a feature from Office 2003 in Office 2007?
- What training is available for Office 2007?
To install Office 2007, Map a drive to \\shares.wpi.edu\applications\Windows\Microsoft\Office. You should run the Install Microsoft Office 2007 shortcut and once that is finished you should then run the Install Windows Desktop Search to enable the Instant Search features in Outlook 2007 and OneNote 2007. You may also purchase installation media via the WPI CLA page.
There are a few known issues when upgrading Office 2007
- Access compatibility
- Access 2007 does have some changes that may cause errors to occur in older Access databases. In most cases these can be fixed without too much work. The CCC does not support custom Access databases but if you contact the helpdesk we can recommend a consultant to help you upgrade your database.
- For users who need transitional time to migrate their Access databases 2007 we have created a terminal server with Access 2003 available. The name of this server is "office.wpi.edu". Directions on accessing the terminal server can be found here.
- ARD users: ARD works with Access 2007 but will not support exporting reports to excel. ARD users who need to use the excel export feature should use the "office.wpi.edu" terminal server.
- 3rd Party Add-ins
- 3rd Party Add-ins may need to be reinstalled after Office is upgraded to work correctly. Some add-ins may not work with Office 2007 and may have newer versions that are specifically designed for Office 2007.
- EndNote: Older versions of EndNote may cause a delay when starting Word 2007. EndNote users should upgrade to EndNote X as it has been designed to work with the new Ribbon format for Office 2007.
- Adobe Acrobat: Adobe Acrobat 6.x and 7.x may not work correctly with Office 2007. We recommend that users upgrade to Adobe 8.x. Users may contact the helpdesk for information on how to purchase an upgraded license of Adobe Acrobat 8.x If you only need to save Word, PowerPoint and Excel files as PDF, you may not need Acrobat Profession as Office 2007 has the ability to save documents directly to PDF.
Microsoft has several interactive guides that allow you to use a virtual Office 2003 menu to find a feature and it will then show you how to access the same feature in Office 2007.
- Word 2007 Interactive Guide
- PowerPoint 2007 Interactive Guide
- Excel 2007 Interactive Guide
- Outlook 2007 Interactive Guide
Training is available from the CCC. You may review courses on the Software Applications Instruction page.
Maintained by itweb.
Last modified: Jun 25, 2010, 11:04 EDT