Suggested Security Software
It is common nowadays for personal computers to become infected with viruses and spyware if they are not properly protected. Helpdesk suggests the following software for your PC's protection.
To shield your computer from viruses, Helpdesk suggests the McAfee VirusScan software that is freely offered by WPI.
- For general information regarding virus protection, please visit the Virus Infomation page.
- For instructions on how to install McAfee VirusScan, please visit the McAfee Installation page.
- For instructions on how to use McAfee VirusScan, please visit the McAfee VirusScan Software page.
To keep your PC free from spyware, Helpdesk suggests the Spybot - Search & Destroy and Ad-aware applications that are freely available.
- For general information regarding spyware, please visit the Spyware FAQ page.
- For instructions on how to install Spybot, please visit the Tutorial page on the Spybot website. Please note that the CCC does not recommend using Spybot's Permanent Protection features: SDHelper or Tea Timer.
- For instructions on how to install and use Ad-aware, visit the Using Ad-aware section of the Spyware FAQ page.
For Advanced Users
In the rare case that none of the above programs can eliminate the virus or spyware that is infecting your PC, the free utility HijackThis can be used to remove said virus or spyware. However, HijackThis is a program that should only be used by advanced users since it is possible to change settings using HijackThis that might be essential for the stable operation of your PC. For more information on HijackThis, please visit the HijackThis Overview page on the TrendMicro website.Maintained by itweb.
Last modified: Apr 03, 2008, 15:10 EDT