Microsoft Windows 8, 7 or Vista
This utility will configure Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 for the WPI wireless network. While many wireless cards ship with a vendor supplied configuration tool, these tools are too widely varied for us to easily ascertain which ones properly support WPA, and if so, how to configure them. Therefore, we are only able to support the Windows built in configuration process.
NOTE - Your wireless card needs to be registered through WPI Network Registration (http://netreg.wpi.edu/) prior to working on the WPI Wireless Network.
Setup of WPI Wireless Network
- Make sure your computer's clock is set to the correct date and time.
- Find your Windows 7 or Windows Vista wireless MAC address.
- Make sure your computer's wireless MAC address is registered through WPI Network Registration.
- Wait 30 minutes for your registration to become active.
- If your machine is on WPI's ADMIN domain, there are no further steps to complete. Your computer should now automatically connect to the WPI-Wireless network.
Certificate Installation and WPI Wireless Configuration for Non-ADMIN Domain Machines
There are several steps which should be completed on any machine that is not a member of the WPI's ADMIN domain. The same functionality is automatically provided on ADMIN domain machines, so these steps are not necessary in that case.
- Using a Mac or PC that is already on the Internet, browse to the WPI Wireless Networking Certificate Files secure download page.
- Log in using your CCC account.
- From the Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP section, download the Certificate Installation Utility file and make a note of the Wireless User Certificate Password at the top of the page which is needed to unlock the certificate file.
- Copy the cert-inst.exe file that you downloaded to the PC you want to connect to the WPI Wireless network.
- On the PC you want to connect to the WPI Wireless network, double click the cert-inst.exe file you downloaded and copied above.
- When prompted, enter the Wireless User Certificate Password from the Certificate Files secure download page.
- Configuration of the WPI network on Windows is completely automated by the certificate installation utility. There are no further steps to complete. Your computer should now automatically connect to the WPI-Wireless network.
Last modified: Jan 15, 2013, 12:55 EST