"We warmly commend the Institute for... its innovative and effective approach to technological education that integrates theory and practice and that is ably supported by a highly-qualified, fully committed faculty....Worcester Polytechnic Institute is 'one of the nation's truly fine technological universities'." -NEASC accreditation letter, May 6, 2002
WPI has been involved in "outcomes assessment" since well before that phrase became part of the contemporary discussion of educational integrity and effectiveness. Because of its project-based undergraduate curriculum, WPI is recognized as a leader in assessing student learning outcomes. This Web site provides examples of:
- Tools used to assess what students can do with what they learn
- Self studies designed to improve the university based on these assessment tools.
Specific assessment materials are presented in three sections on the site:
- Assessing Undergraduate Learning
- Shows how we determine how well WPI's programs prepare students for successful lives and careers. Contains examples of assessment instruments for projects and courses, with analyses leading to implementation of changes.
- Assessing Academic Programs
- Shows how assessment impacts WPI departments and programs. Contains self-studies for the 2002 WPI ABET visit.
- Assessing the University
- Shows how WPI has used outcomes assessment and self studies for regional accreditation. Contains all materials relating to the 2001 and 2006 NEASC Self-Studies.
- New Materials
- Alumni/ae 2001 Survey Results (PDF)
Assessment Plan for Institutional Learning Outcomes (PDF)
Grants from the Davis Educational Foundation and the Pew Charitable Trusts partly fund this Web site. The New England Association of Schools and Colleges oversees this grant program through their Institutional Assessment Portfolio project.
This site is maintained by the webmaster on behalf of Lance Schachterle, Associate Provost for Academic Affairs, who will be happy to respond to any questions or suggestions at email@example.com.Maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: November 06, 2007 09:49:30