In the event of inclement weather, a decision to close or delay opening of the university will be made by the Provost and the Executive Vice President by 4:00 a.m. on the day classes are impacted. Delayed openings will coincide with the start of a class period, e.g. 10:00 a.m.
Communication at the time of the decision and as conditions progress will be handled as follows, and as circumstances allow. The following is a list of how inclement weather announcements will be communicated:
- WPI’s Telephone Snow Line – (508) 831-5744
- WPI’s Homepage – www.wpi.edu
- E-Broadcast announcement via WPI email
- TV /Websites
- Radio Stations
- WBZ (1030 AM)
- WORC (98.9 FM)
- WRKO (680 AM)
- WSRS (96.1 FM)
- WTAG (580 AM and 94.9 FM)
- WWFX (100.1 FM)
- WXLO (104.5 FM)
- *Receive Emergency Alerts via Text Message, Telephone, and/or Email
- Employees wishing to have inclement weather announcements sent via text message to a mobile phone can update/record information by logging into Banner Self Service at http://bannerweb.wpi.edu, selecting “Sign Up Now to Update Crisis Contact Information”. This system also supports telephone calls and email alerts. If you wish to be contacted with emergency alerts please enter the cell phone number, home phone number or email address that you want WPI to use in this manner.
When the university opens as usual in the morning, but it becomes necessary to close at a later point (whether during the day or for evening classes or programs), a decision will be made by the Provost and the Executive Vice President.
For daytime classes, any cancellation will coincide with the start of classes. For evening classes, a decision to close will be made by 3:00 p.m.
In the event of an announced University closing, the following pay procedures will be followed for all personnel not essential for the safety and operation of the university.
- If an announcement is made before the beginning of the workday, all staff (except those in temporary positions) scheduled to work that day will receive pay based on their regularly scheduled workday.
- If employees are sent home during the course of the day, all employees will receive pay based on their regularly scheduled workday.
In the event of inclement weather, when there is no announced closing, the following pay procedures will be followed for all non-union employees reporting to work late, not at all, or leaving early:
- If you report to work by 10:00AM, and remain at work for the rest of the regularly scheduled workday, you will be paid for a normal workday.
- If you report to work after 10:00AM, you will be paid only for the balance of hours worked for the remainder of your normal workday.
- If you do not report to work, are unable to work, or leaves early (after notifying a supervisor), lost time may be charged to vacation/personal time or it may be listed as time off without pay.
Last modified: March 29, 2013 11:23:10