The staff of the Computing & Communications Center is divided into eight major service groups:
- Client Services, which consists of the Helpdesk, Computer Shop and Training, is committed to providing excellent, client-focused training and support services to the WPI community for personal computing technologies and related software applications. The Helpdesk focuses on providing exceptional walk-in, phone or e-mail troubleshooting and support, while the Training group delivers excellence through effective technology training. The Computer Shop focuses on quality distribution and maintenance of standardized systems.
- The LAN Services group is responsible for all facets of PC/LAN-based administrative and academic computing at WPI. They provide software distribution, e-mail, operating system, printer and PC configuration services while simultaneously interfacing with the CCC Helpdesk on daily support issues.
- The Administrative Information Systems group oversees Banner, the information data system used on campus, which is an integrated system of modules including Alumni, Financial Aid, Finance, HR, and Student Information. The group provides Oracle support, technical direction, needs assessment, and system development and support. The group also provides support for improving business processes through efficient utilization of the Banner system.
- The UNIX group implements and operates the CCC UNIX systems. These systems include the academic file server, campus web server, alumni server, campus border mail systems, mail servers, news servers, name servers, time servers, kerberos servers, as well as the login servers, which are for computational or interactive use. These systems have over 5,000 login IDs for faculty, staff, and students. The CCC systems are meant for campus-wide use, rather than for any particular departmental use.
- Network Operations designs, installs, and operates the campus and residential networks, including the wiring to labs, offices, and classrooms, wireless access points, the network hubs in buildings, the backbone network that interconnects buildings, and the campus border routers, which interface to the Internet and to Internet2. The network is constantly in evolution, focused on employing advanced, but stable, technologies.
- The Operations group is responsible for software and hardware acquisition, asset management, budget preparation, and the daily operation of the public computer labs on campus.
- The Telecommunications group operates the campus telephone switch, utilizing the wiring infrastructure which network operations has installed. The group provides directory services, low cost calling, and performs the moves, adds, and changes in telephone service.
- The High Performance Computing group supports faculty, students and research staff in the use of parallel and distributed computers (supercomputers) both at WPI and centers throughout the United States. We offer both system and application support for an IBM SP and a Linux Cluster. Other HPC resources include the Access Grid, which enables collaborative communication across geographically distributed sites, and The Pixel Factory, a large scale display wall for high resolution scientific visualization.
Together, these service groups work with the other departments in IT to deliver a comprehensive suite of information technology services to the entire WPI community.
For more information, visit the CCC Web site.Maintained by itweb
Last modified: Jun 07, 2010, 15:02 EDT