Sustainability in Technology Management
Energy Star and EPEAT (Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool) ratings are a priority over initial investment costs when assessing options for acquiring technology.
- Second Life - When high end technology needed to support our computing intensive environments reach their end of life for the task, the equipment is internally refurbished for a second life in areas requiring less computing power.
- Community Support - A large percentage of our end of life equipment is donated to non-profit organizations and several technical high schools. The high school technology program students refurbish the equipment for distribution to K-12 schools.
- Responsible recycling - Equipment with no useful life is recycled through a reputable recycling network which guarantees that it recycles everything that it receives from its members
- Central power management for campus domain PC's
- Central power management for projection equipment in classrooms and conference rooms
- Increase use of virtualization for Windows and Linux servers
- Decrease paper usage across campus by scanning to PDF rather than printing and increasing use of duplex printing
Last modified: Jul 06, 2009, 14:09 EDT