Faculty Advisors

Academic Advising is more than just helping student select courses. It is a mentoring relationship between the advisor and the student and involves offering career advice as well as degree planning. Oftentimes, you may also be called upon to refer your advisee to other campus resources to resolve problems outside of the advising relationship. As an advisor you should be knowledgeable not only about degree requirements but the resources that are available to help your advisees succeed at WPI. 

Below are lecture captioned slide presentations that will help you acquaint yourself with the Academic Advising process and our degree requirements.

1) Introduction to Academic Advising and Tools of the Trade

2) General Degree Requirements

3) Humanities and Arts Degree Requirement


The "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQs) section provides additional information to supplement  the information in the above slide presentations.

You will also find the Academic Advisor's Handbook in this section. The handbook is extremely comprehensive and covers academic issues "A to Z" including advice on how to set up your first advising meeting.

Lastly, if you need advice on how to handle a situation, please do not hesitate to contact the Academic Advising Office (x5381) or send an e-mail academic-advising@wpi.edu.


Advising Information

What information/tools are on the Web Information System?

Under the advisor menu, you can view student information including schedules, overloads and changes in academic standing, advisee pictures, run transcripts and degree evaluations. The degree evaluations are especially helpful in course planning and determining students' progress toward degree completion.

How do I send e-mail to my advisees?

Academic Information

What are the degree requirements?

The degree requirements are detailed in the undergraduate catalog.

Where can I learn more about majors, minors and concentrations?

In the undergraduate catalog:

Where Can I refer students for help?

How do I help my advisee find an On-campus IQP?

A wealth of information about projects, including a list of available projects can be found at the Project Program Web site.

How does a student transfer credit for a summer course?

Students must have the transfer credit approved from the appropriate WPI department representative prior to taking the course or they run the risk of taking a course whose credit may not transfer. Transfer Credit Approval forms are available online on the registrar's webpage. Students must take the form along with the course description from the college catalog to the department representative (contact the advising office for the department representative) for evaluation. Once the course is approved for credit, the Transfer Credit Approval form must be turned into the registrar's office. Students will not receive credit until the registrar's office receives an official transcript.

The Social Science and Policy Studies Department has outlined credit transfer procedures for social science courses.

Have an advisee on Academic Warning or Probation?

While there are no specific academic consequences to a student being placed on a warning, there may be financial aid consequences when the student's aid package is being reviewed for the following year. Students entering the Fall term who are on probation are not eligible for financial aid. However, they may submit a petition to the financial aid office to request that they maintain their eligibility if there was an extenuating circumstance(s) that affected their academic performance in the preceding term(s). Students who are on Warning or Probation will be behind in graduation credits and will usually need courses beyond their fourth year without summer school. Students needing financial aid beyond the fourth year should consult with the Financial Aid Office.

Should I approve a request from my advisee to overload?

Most advisors do not approve overloads for students who have NR'd courses and are trying to make up the credits by taking four courses the next term. Experience has shown that these students are exactly the ones who will not be able to meet the demands of a four course workload. A more feasible plan of action would be to recommend to the student that he/she take summer courses instead. If the student wishes to transfer in credit for a course taken over the summer at another college, the student should follow the transfer credit approval procedures descirbed above.

General Information


Maintained by webmaster@wpi.edu
Last modified: September 30, 2011 10:29:18