Upperclass Students

WPI's advising program is based on a cooperative and understanding relationship between student and advisor. Consult your advisor regularly. Drop in and tell your advisor how the term is going. If you add or drop a course, you should notify your advisor. Many advisors post office hours during which they are available for conversation. If you cannot find your advisor in his or her office, leave a note with the appropriate departmental secretary, indicating your wish to make an appointment; in that note, indicate several times when you could meet with your advisor and also indicate the means by which you can be contacted. Above all, do not hesitate to call your advisor on campus, to ask questions, or to arrange for an appointment. Most faculty members are also accessible through e-mail.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I see if I need academic help?

Who is my academic advisor?

Go to your unofficial transcript on bannerweb.  Your advisor's name and e-mail will be listed there at the top of the page.

Want to change your major, declare a minor or change your advisor?

Fill out the Major, Advisor and Minor Declaration and Change Form on the OAA Web site.

How do I transfer credit for a summer course?

Students must have the transfer credit approved from the appropriate WPI department representative prior to taking the course or they run the risk of taking a course whose credit may not transfer. Transfer Credit Approval forms are available online on the registrar's webpage. Students must take the form along with the course description from the college catalog to the department representative (contact the advising office for the department representative) for evaluation. Once the course is approved for credit, the Transfer Credit Approval form must be turned into the registrar's office. Students will not receive credit until the registrar's office receives an official transcript.

The Social Science and Policy Studies Department has outlined credit transfer procedures for social science courses.

How do I check my progress toward graduation?

Use the degree evaluation. Sign on the web information system. Select Student Services, then Student Records and you'll find Degree Evaluation. This is a very useful tool in helping students track their progress toward graduation credits and plan their course selections.

How do I drop and add a class?

This can be done on the web until 4 p.m. the second day of classes. After that, you must come into the Registrar's Office in Daniels Hall to fill out a Course Change form. A late fee for dropping or adding a class is applied after the second day of classes.

What do I do if I am on warning or probation?

If you are on warning or probation you seek help immediately from the Academic Advising Office. There are several programs and/or services available to help you get back on track.

How do I do I find a project (Sufficiency, IQP, MQP)?

Search the available projects database.

How do I overload?

Registration for overload classes takes place each term on a space-available basis beginning on the first day of classes for that term and running through the term's course-change period. You cannot register for an overload on the Web. You must go to the Registrar's office and fill out a Course Change form. You will need to get the signature of your academic advisor on the form before submitting to the Registrar. Students are allowed to take two and 1/6 units of classes per semester as the standard course load. A unit equals nine credits or generally speaking three 3-credit classes. This can be distributed in various ways over the two terms in that semester. For example, you can take four 1/3-unit classes in Term A and two 1/3-unit classes plus 1/6 unit in Term B without incurring an extra charge. If you take three 1/3-unit classes in Term B, you will be overloaded by 1/6 units. The overload charge can be found at the Registrar's Office Website. Bills for fall semester overloads are sent out in Term B and spring semester overload bills are sent in Term D.

Please note that overloading is never recommended if a student is trying to make up credits from a previous poor term. A wiser plan of action would be to take summer courses instead. If the student wishes to transfer in credit for a course taken over the summer at another college, the student should follow the transfer credit approval procedures. Remember that only those courses taken at WPI can affect a student's academic standing.

How do I appeal a grade?

Please start by reading the grade appeal section of the undergraduate catalog.

What is WPI's academic honesty policy?

Read the Academic Honest Policy...

How do I contact Student Government Association's Committee on Academic Issues?

Visit the SGA Web site...

Maintained by webmaster@wpi.edu
Last modified: September 30, 2011 10:25:24