George F. Fuller Professorship in Mechanical Engineering
This professorship was established in 1964 with a gift from the George F. and Sybil H. Fuller Foundation. Fuller spent his career at Wyman-Gordon Company in Worcester, a leading metal forging firm. Unable to finish high school or attend college because of the need to support his family after the death of his father, Fuller convinced Wyman-Gordon’s founders to hire him as bookkeeper. But his real interest was on the manufacturing floor, and he eventually became shop superintendent and, later, company president. Sybil Fuller, also a Worcester native, died in 1955. When George Fuller passed away in 1962, his estate funded the foundation that bears their names. In addition to this professorship, the foundation has supported a wide range of initiatives at WPI, including the Fuller Water Quality Laboratory in Kaven Hall, the Fuller Residence Center, and the George F. Fuller Laboratories, home to the university’s Computer Science Department.
Current Recipient: Richard D. Sisson Jr.Maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: March 03, 2008 10:54:08