James H. Manning Professorship
Established in 1998, this professorship was endowed through a bequest from Frances B. Manning, widow of James Henry Manning, Class of 1906. James Manning joined the international engineering and construction firm Stone & Webster four years after his WPI graduation; he became president in 1928, a position he held until 1937. He then spent 17 years as president of Ulen & Co., as senior partner of Manning & Co. (New York consulting engineers specializing in reports, appraisals, and special engineering studies), and as a limited partner in N. A. Lougee & Co. (consulting engineers in New York). Manning, who grew up in a Fall River, Mass., family of modest means, never forgot how he arrived at WPI with only $10 in his pocket and a dream of becoming an engineer, and how a loan made it possible for him to earn his degree and realize his ambition. In 1973, he and Frances established and endowed the James H. Manning Scholarship Loan Fund to give, in perpetuity, that same opportunity to students.
Current Recipient: Yi Hua (Ed) MaMaintained by email@example.com
Last modified: February 27, 2008 12:20:37