In 1997, WPI's Strategic Planing Steering Committee drafted the following vision statement, which was endorsed by the WPI community. It articulates our sense of where we are and the direction in which we want WPI to go.
Offering integrated theory and practice through a project-based curriculum and global opportunities in all levels of study, WPI will continue to build an environment that promotes innovative thinking, values mutual respect and diversity, highly regards scholarship, and engenders life-long learning for the campus community.
From this vision we derive the following guiding principles:
- The creation, integration and transmission of technical and scientific knowledge will remain central to our mission, which also requires us to pursue their social, cultural, ethical, managerial, and economic ramifications beyond the boundaries of engineering, science, and technology.
- Project based and cooperative learning will be central to the curriculum.
- Global awareness will be woven throughout the curriculum and an off-campus experience will be available to potentially every student.
- The learning environment will be continually assessed to ensure a climate that values diversity, emphasizes community, and encourages a difference of ideas and values.
- The community will continually reassess its goals and vision, evaluate its progress, and be cognizant of its relationships and responsibilities to the world beyond the campus.
firstname.lastname@example.org Last modified: Wed Mar 25 16:03:00 EST 1998