Although its population is only 700,000, Cyprus is one of the largest islands in the Mediterranean. It is a blend of history and rich cultural heritage. Visitors and tourists have a vast range of choices: from ancient architecture to magnificent natural wonders.
The capital is Nicosia and is split by the northern and southern parts of the island. The official language is Greek in the South and Turkish in the North. As part of the European Union integration of the island, Cyprus is converting its monetary unit to Euro starting May 2004. The time zone in the island is +2 GMT and the international telephone code for the island is ++357. The climate conditions are shown with average month temperatures as follows
Preparing for your trip
Citizens of the US and Canada need passports. Tourist and business visas are issued upon arrival at one of the designated ports of entry. For additional information visit Cyprus Holiday Guide- Cyprus Visa Requirements
- Larnaca International Airport (LCA) is located at 7130 Larnaca, Cyprus (6.5 km/4 mi from Larnaca). Contact by phone can be established at ++(0) 24 304 700 or ++ (0) 2481 6130. Help desk is available at ++ (0) 24 643 000. The airport has one terminal and provides transportation to some of the major towns and cities on the island (for details see below), usually taxis need approximately fifteen minutes to get to Larnaca. Airport facilities include banks, bureaux de change, café, post office gift shop, facilities for disabled
- Buses run regularly every half hour from 6:30 am to 4:00 pm and connect the airport with all major towns and cities in Cyprus. For more information about bus itineraries visit Inter City Buses
- Taxis operate non-stop. There are numerous taxis both at the airport and in the cities. Several companies provide taxis at reasonable price. Rates are usually 20% higher from 8:30 pm to 6:00 am. For more information visit Cyprus Yellow Pages - Taxi
- Service Taxis
- The service Taxi is a comfortable and affordable way to get around in Cyprus. It usually accommodates four to seven people and is booked by phone. The phone to reach a service taxi in Limassol is 362061.
- Car Hire
- It is possible to rent a car either before you arrive or once you are in Cyprus. Most major car hire companies are represented at Larnaca Airport and the major cities: Hertz, Petsas, Avis, Payless Car Rental, National Astra, Budget, Europcar, Sixt and Thrifty International. An international drivers license is accepted but visitors should be aware that driving is on the left side, similar to Great Britain. Speed limit on motorways is 100 km per hour (approx 62 miles per hour). Cyprus Car Hire Guide to Vehicle Rental Rates
Please visit the Hotels page for more information.
Dining and Entertainment
Places to visit:
For detailed information about these places visit: Travel to Cyprus-Limassol
Events during the Symposium:
Wine Festival of Limassol - Limassol is well renowned for its fine wine and vine products.
Cyprus is famous for its diverse food. From meze to himomeri, there is something for every taste. If you would like to get to know the island's cuisine go to A Window on Cyprus's Good Food page
Tourist Information Bureaus in Limassol:
Other useful websites:Maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: Apr 30, 2004, 15:19 EDT