Goddard Hall is home of the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department and Chemical Engineering Department. This building is named for Robert Goddard, a 1908 WPI graduate who is known as the father of modern rocketry. Completed in 1965, It was a gift from the F.W. Olin Foundation. Its exterior features a 10-foot-tall WPI seal cast in stone.
State-of-the-art laboratories in chemical engineering support work in bioreactor engineering, biochemical research, zeolite crystallization, heat and mass Transfer, laser chemistry, catalysis, inorganic membrane studies, adsorption and diffusion, carbon, and reaction and catalyst engineering. For work in chemistry, there is the brand new Biochemistry Laboratory and laboratories for work in NMR spectroscopy, laser flash photolysis, infrared spectroscopy, ultraviolet/visible spectroscopy, high-pressure liquid chromatography, mass spectroscopy, photochemistry, computer-aided molecular design, and medicinal chemistry.
The center of the building is dominated by a multistory unit operations laboratory, where students learn about the practice of modern chemical engineering by running real chemical operations. Among other exciting educational facilities is the Introductory Chemistry Instrumentation Center, where students in chemistry classes do experiments with state-of-the-art analytical equipment like gas chromatographs and Fourier transform infrared spectrometers.