Kaven Hall and Institute Park
Kaven Hall, is home of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department. Built in 1954, this building is named for Moses Kaven, Class of 1885, who was vice president of the United Shoe Machinery Co. and a generous WPI benefactor. The modern facilities in Kaven include civil engineering labs for the study of structural engineering, environmental and geotechnical engineering, construction materials, and computer-aided materials and design.
Leaving Kaven, we walk east on Salisbury Street. Across the street is Institute Park, with its pond and band shell. It was donated to WPI by Stephen Salisbury II, who also gave the land for WPI's campus. The park is a perfect place to contemplate nature or to watch the changing of the seasons. At Homecoming in the fall, it is the site of the annual Rope Pull, part of the freshman-sophomore rivalry that has been part of the WPI tradition since 1909. Adjacent to the park is Salisbury Estates, an apartment complex owned by WPI.