Salisbury Labs, is WPI's third building, completed in 1898. Another Stephen Earle design, the building was named for Stephen Salisbury II, a Worcester businessman who donated the land for WPI's campus and served as chairman of its first board of trustees. Today it is home to the departments of Biology and Biotechnology, Biomedical Engineering, and Humanities and Arts.
In Biology and Biotechnology, you'll find labs for molecular biology, animal and plant cell culture, fermentation, downstream processing, molecular genetics, invertebrate zoology and bioremediation. A greenhouse atop the building supports innovative work in plant physiology and biotechnology. There are also biomedical engineering laboratories for work on biosensors and instrumentation. A related laboratory at the Central Massachusetts Imaging Center at the Massachusetts Biotechnology Park in Worcester hosts groundbreaking work in magnetic resonance imaging. The Biomedical Engineering Department offers one of the few undergraduate degree programs in the field. The Humanities and Arts Department supports one of WPI's major degree requirements, the Sufficiency, which provides technically oriented students an in-depth exposure to a humanistic field.