Effectively Linking People, Technology, and Business
Industrial engineers focus on process improvement, which can mean reducing cost, reducing the time required to complete the process, or reducing the number of errors. Process might be a manufacturing line in which each step is a physical operation that creates a product.
Industrial engineers serve as a bridge between engineering and management, dedicated to linking people, technology, and business. They design and coordinate a wide range of key processes:
- Timely delivery of products and overall customer satisfaction
- Efficient use of resources
- Use of reliable and timely data to make critical decisions
Industrial engineers combine their technical knowledge with concerns about how people fit into the systems they design. They are employed by manufacturing firms, hospitals, transportation firms, and government agencies.
Educational objectives. Expected accomplishments during the first few years after graduation include the following.
- Industrial engineering knowledge and design skills
- Communication skills
- Teamwork and leadership skills