We invite you to participate in one or more of the admission events we host throughout the year to provide our international applicants the opportunity to learn about our graduate business programs, application procedures and requirements, and the WPI School of Business mission and culture.
- Online Information Sessions: These on-line events are appropriate for anyone interested in pursuing a graduate business degree at WPI School of Business. Hear about program curriculum & requirements and admissions criteria & processes from the admissions team. Learn more.
- Other Admissions Events: If you plan to be in the Worcester, Massachusetts area, we encourage you to visit our campus and attend a class. See Weeknight Visitors Program to learn more.
Applying to WPI School of Business
All applicants must submit the WPI online application to be considered for admission to the WPI School of Business. Please refer to Admissions for detailed instructions on the application process.
International applicants must be familiar with the following admission requirements:
- Deadlines: The Office of Admissions evaluate applications and makes decisions on a rolling basis throughout the year. Although there are no strict cutoff dates, we encourage international applicants to submit their completed applications prior to the deadline dates in order to allow sufficient time to complete the student visa paperwork and prepare for this exciting next chapter in your life. The application deadlines are June 1st (fall enrollment) and October 1st (spring enrollment) for international applicants. For a complete list of deadlines and application checklist see Important Dates & Checklist.
- TOEFL Exam or IELTS Exam: WPI requires a minimum TOEFL score of 84 and IELTS score of 7. The suggested minimum TOEFL for writing is 20, listening is 22, reading is 20, and speaking is 22, though all applications will be considered that meet or exceed the overall minimum TOEFL score of 84. We strongly recommend that you retake the exam if your overall score does not meet the minimum requirement. Please note that any international applicant seeking to attend WPI on a F-1 student visa must submit an official TOEFL score or IELTS score as required for the issuance of the Form I-20. For additional details on the language exam test for international applicants see our TOEFL Exam or IELTS Exam section.
- Official Transcripts: Official transcripts for all previously attended colleges and/or universities must be submitted as part of your admissions application. International applicants must send their official transcripts to DataBank at 437 Turnpike Street, Canton, MA 02021. Address the envelope to the attention of Donna Morrison, WPI Graduate Application Processing Center. International applicants who are unable to obtain multiple official copies of their transcript(s) should contact the Office of Admissions. See Official Transcripts for additional details.
- Interview Process: Selected candidates will be invited to participate in an interview with a representative of the Office of Admissions. If selected, you must participate in an evaluative interview. Failure to do so will result in a denial of admission. See Interview Process for helpful hints in preparing for the interview.
- Code of Conduct: The information provided in you application should be prepared by you and reflect your own work. Any instance of plagiarism, falsification, or misrepresentation will result in a denial of admission. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with our Admissions Policies. If you have any questions, contact the Office of Admissions for clarification.
Obtaining a Visa
International applicants who have been offered admission to the WPI School of Business will need to submit the WPI International Student Information Form and a financial statement documenting holdings of at least $32,000 USD to cover expenses for the first year of study at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. After these two documents and a $500 non-refundable deposit are received and processed, an I-20 form will be issued to the student. See Immigration Information for details on the student visa process.
To inquire about visa paperwork submitted to the Office of Admissions, contact the Office of Admissions. For all other immigration or visa related inquiries, please contact the WPI International House at +1-508-831-6030.
Financing Your Graduate Studies
WPI School of Business offers limited financial assistance to international applicants. It is important to know and understand the options available to you.
The WPI School of Business has a limited number of Graduate Management Assistantships available to entering full-time students. These assistantships provide compensation up to $4,800 per academic year in exchange for the recipient working with a faculty member or administrative department in a research or administrative capacity.
For consideration, applicants must answer "Yes" to the "Would you like to be considered for a graduate assistantship?" question in the WPI online application. Assistantships are awarded based on academic excellence and over strength of the applicant compared to other admitted candidates. Award recipients will receive notification of a Graduate Management Assistantship award in their acceptance letter.
For questions regarding the Graduate Management Assistantships, please contact the Office of Admission.
Private Loan Borrowing
There are several loan options available to international students through private educational lenders. In most cases, the lender requires a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as a co-applicant and a processed I-20 form from the student. WPI has worked with Citibank through their CitiAssist Loan Program to pre-approve loans prior to obtaining the I-20 form. The pre-approval process can then be used to obtain the I-20. Not all lenders offer this service. If you choose a lender other than a Citibank, it is best to contact the lender first to determine their loan process prior to applying for the loan. See Financing Your Graduate Studies for additional financial aid information.
For questions related to private loan borrowing, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at +1-508-831-5469.