50 Prescott, Suite #1324
Kevin M. Sweeney
- Professor of Practice, School of Business
- Co-Director, WPI Wall Street Project Center
- Director, WPI Pioneer Valley Economic Development Project Center
It has been a special privilege for me to be a part of the dynamic community of lifelong learners in the student body and faculty of the Robert A. Foisie School of Business at WPI. The WPI tradition of solving real-world problems makes it a distinctive environment for sharing our collective capacity to make the world a better place through value creation and innovation.
As a practitioner in finance, international management, and law with a Fortune 500 financial services company, in consulting and legal practice, and as the CEO of a non-profit community economic development firm, I have learned first-hand that effective organizational and entrepreneurial leadership requires more than merely technical capability in business disciplines like finance. Organizational leaders and entrepreneurs are most successful when they develop a nuanced understanding of how to create value on an integrated foundation of strategic, social, cultural and ethical understanding.
WPI’s focus on interdisciplinary technical proficiency combined with contextual and values-driven leadership makes it a special place to study business and finance. By applying the fundamental tools of corporate finance and strategy in a practical and realistic organizational context through traditional and project-based learning, I want to help my students develop their personal capacity to drive, monitor, communicate and evaluate real-life leadership decisions. And, I also want them to learn how to make a difference in the world as social innovators and community leaders.
In addition to my work with WPI, I am also the principal of Sweeney Strategic Consulting, where I advise for-profit and non-profit firms about critical organizational issues, and I am a visiting lecturer in finance and strategy at Columbia University. I also serve on the Board of Directors of Westfield Financial, Inc. (WFD) – a NASDAQ traded, regionally-focused bank holding company. I chair the WFD Board’s Finance Committee, and I am a member of its Compensation and Governance committees. I am also a Director of Common Capital, a private Community Development Financial Institution with a mission to strengthen Western and Central Massachusetts by funding small businesses.
- The relationship between finance, strategy and innovation
- Capital needs of entrepreneurs and small businesses
- Mergers & acquisitions and financial services organizations
- The role of regional economic development and financial innovation
- International management and global finance
- B.A., University of Massachusetts – Amherst, 1987
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, 1990
- M.B.A., TRIUM (New York University – Stern School of Business; London School of Economics; and HEC School of Management – Paris), 2005