In WPI’s Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, graduate education focuses on cutting-edge research. The engine of our graduate program comprises an ethnically diverse and highly talented student body pursing interdisciplinary research in:
- Biochemistry (Argüello, Burdette, Dempski, Gericke, Kaminski)
- Biophysical Chemistry (Argüello, Dempski, Gericke, Kaminski)
- Chemical sensing (Burdette, Lambert)
- Computational Chemistry (Kaminski)
- Green Chemistry, Recycling, and Sustainability (Emmert, Grimm)
- Inorganic and Organometallic Chemistry (Burdette, Emmert)
- Materials Chemistry and Nanotechnology (Emmert, Grimm, MacDonald)
- Synthetic Methodology Development (Burdette, Dittami, Emmert, MacDonald)
- Photochemistry (Burdette, Dittami, Lambert)
- Physical Chemistry and Surface Science (Connors, Grimm, Lambert, MacDonald)
WPI is located in central Massachusetts, a technology-rich area that offers students an excellent quality of life and many potential career opportunities. Read the Living in Worcester page for more details on WPI's hometown and surrounding areas.
Degrees we offer
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry invites applications for two types of degrees: a research-based Ph.D. degree, or a coursework-based M.S. degree. For more information, follow these links to further investigate our Ph.D. program and our M.S. program. Graduate students enrolled full-time towards the Ph.D. degree receive generous stipends as a teaching assistant (TA) or a research assistant (RA). As a full-time student, benefits include a student health insurance plan, a tuition waiver, and modern family leave policies. Enrolled students can apply for internal funding that subsidizes travel to national and international conferences to present their research findings.
The coursework-based M.S. degree is a part-time program designed for targeted, in-depth investigations in advanced topics in modern chemistry and biochemistry. Students accepted in to the M.S. program do not qualify for teaching assistant (TA) or research assistant (RA) support.
FINANCIAL SUPPORT IS OFFERED ONLY TO THOSE STUDENTS ENTERING THE Ph.D. PROGRAM.