- These researchers study the roads we ride on, working to unlock the power of pavement as an energy source, recycle reclaimed asphalt pavement materials, reduce environmental impacts, and synthesize geopolymers from industrial wastes, among other topics.
- This research examines the engineering behind different types of structures, specifically structural vibration mitigation, structural health monitoring, performance-based structural design, integration of structural design and construction, and more.
- Sustainability is a guiding force here. Our researchers explore the lifecycle of sustainable buildings. They also work to optimize the design and construction integrated process and integrate design-construction and facility management information.
- Study is of removal and oxidation of organic contaminants from waters and wastewaters and alternative disinfection strategies to keep the natural world pure. Other topics: pharmaceutical/personal care products and physical and chemical unit processes.
- The focus here is on sustainable, renewable energy, such as wind power and turbines, hydropower, and energy in pavements, as well as issues such as water and sanitation in developing countries, fish passage, and climate change.
- These researchers probe water-related infrastructure and earth’s liquid resources, looking at storm water control, management of combined sewer overflows, surface-water quality monitoring and watershed protection, and reactive transport in groundwater.
- Our research interests focus on optimizing the design of buildings by considering the different aspects of human comfort and energy consumption and on the production arrangements of contracting firms and the economics of the construction industry.
Building a Stronger, Sustainable Future
Students and faculty in the department of Civil & Environmental Engineering (CEE) collaborate within world-class research facilities to investigate new sources of energy, discover safer and more sustainable ways to build and maintain buildings and infrastructure, and protect the natural world through reducing environmental impact and keeping contaminants out of our water and soil.
The structures and natural resources around us serve as teachers and reminders of the importance of conservation and environmental sustainability. Our research touches on the very infrastructure of society.