About the Dean
Bernard Gordon Dean of Engineering
Selçuk I. Güçeri, PhD, joined WPI in January 2011 as the inaugural Bernard M. Gordon Dean of Engineering.
Dr. Güçeri spent the previous 10 years as dean of engineering at Drexel University, the nation's largest engineering college among private universities. Under his leadership, Drexel Engineering tripled its research funding, significantly increased the number of women faculty and students, expanded the degree of student diversity, and fostered more than a dozen technology-based startup companies.
An accomplished scholar, Dr. Güçeri has authored or coauthored more than 100 publications in the fields of manufacturing, materials mechanics, and software development.
Born in Turkey to parents who were both engineers, Dr. Güçeri earned bachelor of science and master of science degrees in mechanical engineering at Middle East Technical University in Ankara. He completed a PhD as a NATO Fellow at the North Carolina State University Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. Before joining Drexel, he was professor and head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Prior to that, he served on the mechanical engineering faculty at the University of Delaware.
- 1970-76 PhD, North Carolina State University, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- 1969-70 BSc, MSc, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- Materials processing
- Rapid prototyping and layered manufacturing
- Fabrication of multifunctional components
- Laser processing of composites
- Fabrication of thermoplastic composites
- Editor-in-Chief, Jour. Materials Processing & Manufacturing Science, 1992-2003 (founding editor).
- Editor-in-Chief, Jour. of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, 1988-1992 (founding editor).
- Editor, "Nanoengineered Nanofibrous Materials," Kluwer Acad. Pub. NATO ASI Series 2004.
- Chapter, "Transport Phenomena in Composites Processing," Ann. Rev. of Heat Transfer., 1996.
- Chapter, "Finite Difference Solution of Field Problems,", S.I. Güçeri, Fundamentals of Computer Modeling in Polymer Processing, Chapter 5, (Ed.) C.L. Tucker, Carl Hanser GmbH, pp.143-244, 1989.
- Editor "Transport Phenomena in Processing," Technomic Publishing Company, 1992.
- "Multi-Materials Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering,, with Darling, A. Shor, L., Khalil, S., Mondrinos, M., Sun, W., and Lelkes, P., Macromolecules Symposia, in press 2005.
- "New Developments in Fused Deposition Modeling of Ceramics," with Bellini, A., Shor, L., Rapid Prototyping, in press, 2005.
- "Precision Extruding Deposition and Characterization of Cellular Poly-e-Caprolactone Tissue Scaffolds", with Wang, F., Shor, L., Darling, A., Khalil, S., Sun, W., and Lau, A., Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 10, Issue 1, 2004. pp. 42-49.
- "Mechanical Characterization of Parts Fabricated Using Layered Manufacturing," with Anna Bellini, Maurizio Bertoldi, Journal of Rapid Prototyping, 2002.
- "Liquefier Dynamics in Fused Deposition," with Anna Bellini, Maurizio Bertoldi, ASME Jour. Manufacturing Sci., submitted 2002.
- "New Developments in Rapid Prototyping," with A. Bellini, L. Shor, JSME/ASME International Conference on Materials and Processing, Hawaii, October 2002.
- "Impregnation Molding of Particle-Filled Preceramic Polymers," with M. Erdal and S.C. Danforth, Transactions of American Ceramic Society, 1999.