Departments & Programs
Engineering at WPI comprises more than a dozen individual programs leading to undergraduate and graduate degrees from bachelors to masters to doctorate. Use the table below to learn more about specific engineering disciplines and degree programs at WPI.
Departments & Programs
- The focus of this challenging and exciting field is the design of aircraft and space systems. Students gain a strong technical competency in the fundamental principles of mathematics and science, plus a comprehensive education in aerospace engineering.
- This dynamic science continues to make historic breakthroughs that are extending lives, re-enabling the disabled, and vastly improving the quality of life. WPI is at the forefront of research that is leading to many of these breathtaking developments.
- Dedicated to vigorously pursuing discovery, creation, and dissemination of knowledge at the frontiers of chemical engineering, this department also strives to produce technically competent and socially aware chemical engineers.
- The Civil Engineering curriculum combines a project-based learning environment with an extensive background in the fundamental principles of civil engineering. Students have the flexibility to explore various relevant disciplines and career opportunities.
- This subarea is geared toward students whose interests lie in the design and construction engineering process, but are also concerned with the associated economics, social science, management, business, labor and legal relations.
- This program educates future leaders in the electrical and computer engineering profession. Through a balanced, integrated curriculum, we provide an education that is strong both in the fundamentals and in state-of-the-art knowledge.
- The Environmental Engineering program encourages coursework in the humanistic and social aspects of engineering decisions, public health management, and environmental preservation.
- Fire protection engineers apply science and engineering principles to protect life, property, business operations, the environment, and heritage from fire. They often work in teams to apply cutting-edge research tools to address 21st-century challenges.
- The objective of the minor in Manufacturing will be to give the students a solid understanding of the principles of production, processing, manufacturability, and quality that can be applied to a wide variety of products.
- The MS program in Materials Processing Engineering gives engineers, scientists, and managers the knowledge, skills, and experience they need to become entrepreneurs, trendsetters, and executives in a rapidly changing global marketplace.
- At WPI, we believe the future will depend not only on new materials but also on innovative use of traditional materials. Our commitment to the future shines through in our multidisciplinary focus and our responsiveness to the industry and the consumer.
- This program gives students the expertise needed to confront real-world technological issues. They learn how to apply scientific principles and engineering methods to analyze and design systems, processes, and products that can improve quality of life.
- Co-designed with energy companies, these programs provide the most current theory and cutting edge applications, making your experience immediately relevant for a career in the power industry.
- WPI developed the nation's first bachelor's degree in robotics engineering, a multidisciplinary curriculum involving the fields of mechanical engineering, electrical and computer engineering, and computer science. An MS program was introduced in 2009.
- Taught by renowned faculty and practicing engineers, these interdisciplinary programs provide a practical framework for managing today’s large-scale, complex engineering projects.
WPI Can Tailor an Engineering Degree Program for Individual Companies
WPI’s Corporate & Professional Education (CPE) division delivers customized professional, graduate, and executive education programs to businesses and organizations of all sizes. Employees and their companies stay on the cutting edge with education programs–onsite, offsite, or online. Learn more...