Diverse Facilities Meet the Demands of a Wide Range of Research Needs
At WPI, Engineering encompasses more than a dozen individual programs–from aerodynamics to robotics, and everything in between. To accommodate the unique needs of these varied disciplines, the WPI campus is host to many highly diverse research facilities. Step inside several of them using the gallery below.
- Atwater Kent Laboratories were the first in the nation dedicated to electrical engineering education. Today it houses many electrical and computer engineering laboratories.
- Research conducted at the Center for Fire Safety Studies has included fire safety evaluation methods, explosion phenomenon, fire detection and suppression, and risk management techniques.
- Kaven Hall is equipped with four civil engineering laboratories and three recently renovated computer laboratories.
- WPI's Life Sciences and Bioengineering Center at Gateway Park brings together graduate research laboratories, life science companies, and dynamic core facilities.
- The Manufacturing Engineering department utilizes several research labs, including the Center for Advanced Abrasive Processes, Computer-Aided Manufacturing Lab, and Metal Processing Institute.
- The Materials Science & Engineering department conducts research in the Computer-Aided Manufacturing Laboratory (CAMLAB), Materials Characterization Laboratory, Polymer Laboratory, and Electrochemical Energy Laboratory.
- Our Mechanical Engineering department is home to 13 research labs that study everything from holographic laser and micro mechanics to hydrodynamics and gas turbine research.