Life Sciences & Bioengineering Center, 3002
- Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
My teaching and research interests are centralized on a new biomedical area, nanomedicines, where tiny particles with diameters less than 100 nm are used as new forms of medicines. I like to work with students to explore how nanoparticles with unique physical properties can be used to achieve previously non-existing functions. I like to create an interdisciplinary learning and research environment by working with students from different backgrounds: engineering, biology, materials science, applied physics, and chemistry. In my group, my students are using nanomedicines for cancer detection and radiation therapy, for drug anti-counterfeiting, or for emergency treatments of brain injury and stroke. In the classroom, I like teach students how to find innovative solutions for challenging biomedical issues by digging into fundamentals of physical sciences, biological sciences and engineering, or by combining knowledge in different disciplines.
- Advanced healthcare materials
- Integrated biomedical nanodevice
- Drug anti-counterfeiting
- BS. Northwestern University (China), 1993
- PhD. Northwestern University, 2004
- M. Su, Multiplexed biosensing with phase change nanoparticles, Nanomedicine 2013, 8, 253.
- Y. Luo, M. Hossain, C. Wang, Y. Qiao, L. Ma, M. Su, Targeted nanoparticles for enhanced X-ray radiation killing of multidrug resistant bacteria, Nanoscale 2013, 5, 687.
- M. Hossain, M. Su, Nanoparticle location and materials dependent enhancement of X-ray radiation therapy, J. Phys. Chem. C 2012, 116, 23047.
- C. Wang, Y. Hong, M. Zhang, M. Hossain, Y. Luo, M. Su, Thermal fingerprint of silica encapsulated phase change nanoparticles, Nanoscale 2012, 4, 3237.
- L. Ma, C. Wang, Y. Hong, M. Zhang, M. Su, Thermally addressed immunosorbent assay (TAISA) using encapsulated phase change nanoparticles, Anal. Chem. 2010, 82, 1186.
- JALA Ten Award, JALA, 2013
- New Investigator Award, NIJ, 2012
- Director’s New Innovator Award, NIH, 2012
- Career Award, NSF, 2011
- Concept Award, DOD-CDMRP, 2010
- Doctoral New Investigator Award, ACS-PRF, 2007
- Eugene P. Wigner Fellowship, ORNL, 2004-2006