Goddard Hall, 224A
Anthony G. Dixon
- Professor, Chemical Engineering
My research is in the general area of reaction engineering and energy, in particular steam reforming and hydrogen production. A strong component of this work is the use of scientific computing methods to investigate transport and reaction in chemical reactors and porous media. Scholarly work is currently being carried out in the following areas: computational fluid dynamics (CFD) studies of fluid flow through beds of particles, heat transfer in structured fixed-bed reactors, parametric analysis of nonisothermal behavior in inorganic membrane reactors, diffusion and reaction in microporous inorganic membranes and their use as membrane reactors, simulation of microchemical reactors using direct simulation Monte Carlo (DSMC) methods, and the study of pseudospectral (collocation) methods for the solution of differential equations. I also participate in educational scholarship, involving engineering education, teaching, and learning, with particular interest in the use of mathematics and computing within the chemical engineering curriculum.
- chemical reaction engineering
- energy-related reactor modeling and design
- computational fluid dynamics and mathematical modeling
- novel catalyst pellet design and performance
- heat transfer in chemical reactors
- inorganic membrane reactors
- B.Sc., University of Edinburgh- U.K., 1975
- Ph.D., University of Edinburgh- U.K., 1978
- Dixon, A.G., Nijemeisland, M. and Stitt, E.H., "Systematic Mesh Development for 3D CFD Simulation of Fixed Beds: Contact Points Study," Comp. Chem. Eng., 48, 135 (2013).
- Dixon, A.G., Boudreau, J., Rocheleau, A., Troupel, A., Taskin, M.E., Nijemeisland, M. and Stitt, E.H., "Flow Transport and Reaction Interactions in Shaped Cylindrical Particles for Methane Steam Reforming," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 51, 15839 (2012).
- Behnam, M., Dixon, A.G., Wright, P.M., Nijemeisland, M. and Stitt, E.H., "Comparison of CFD Simulations to Experiment under Methane Steam Reforming Reacting Conditions," Chem. eng. J., 207-208, 690 (2102).
- Dixon, A.G., Walls, G. Stanness, H. Nijemeisland, M. and Stitt, E.H., "Experiment Validation of High Reynolds Number CFD Simulations of Heat Transfer in a Pilot-Scale Fixed-Bed Tube," Chem. Eng. J., 200-202, 344 (2012).
- Dixon, A.G., "Fixed Bed Catalytic Reactor Modelling - the Radial Heat Transfer Problem," Can. J. Chem. Eng., 90, 507, (2012).