Gordon Library, 302
- Director, Morgan Teaching and Learning Center
- Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
- Affiliated with:
- Co-Director, Camp Reach
- Co-Director, Professional Writing Program
As a college professor, I have the opportunity not only to excite students about my field of materials science and engineering, but to help them develop holistically as critical thinkers, lifelong learners, innovators, and effective and ethical communicators during an important formative period in their personal and professional lives.
I was an undergraduate at WPI and really valued the project-based learning, the Global Projects Program, and the extent of contact I had with my professors. Those same values drew me back to WPI as a faculty member. I aim to continuously improve students’ learning experiences both in the classroom and in projects, taking advantage of technological affordances and applying what’s known about the science of learning.
- Women in engineering and outcomes of K-12 outreach
- Materials science and engineering education
- Pedagogical research, course design, and measurement of student learning
- Project-based learning
- Experiential international education
- BS, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1988
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1993
- C. Demetry and R. Vaz, "Evaluation of Intercultural Learning in an Education Abroad Program for STEM Undergraduates," Proceedings, American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exhibition, June 20-23, 2010.
- C. Demetry, J. Hubelbank, S. Blaisdell, S. Sontgerath, M. E. Nicholson, E. Rosenthal, and P. Quinn, "Supporting Young Women to Enter Engineering: Long-Term Effects of a Middle School Engineering Outreach Program for Girls," Journal of Women & Minorities in Science and Engineering, 15, 119-142 (2009).
- C. Demetry, S. Gurland, and N. Kildahl, "Building Bridges to Material Properties in General Chemistry Laboratories: A Model for Integration across Disciplines," Journal of Engineering Education 91  379-386 (2002).
- C. Demetry, "Alumni-Contributed Materials Selection Projects in an Introductory Materials Science Course," Journal of Materials Education 20 [1-2] 125-133 (1998).
- C. Demetry and J.E. Groccia, "A Comparative Assessment of Students' Experiences in Two Instructional Formats of an Introductory Materials Science Course," Journal of Engineering Education 86, 203-210 (1997).
- U.S. Professor of the Year for the State of Massachusetts, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and Council for Advancement and Support of Education (2011)
- Best Paper Award, Professional Interest Council IV and Women in Engineering Division, American Society for Engineering Education (2007)
- WPI Board of Trustees' Award for Outstanding Teaching (2002)
- ASM Bradley Stoughton Award for Young Teachers (2000)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (1995-99)