Atwater Kent Laboratories, 128
- Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Affiliated with:
- Dean of Engineering, Ad Interim
Prior to becoming the Dean of Engineering and subsequent to my work at Bell Laboratories I was a Professor in the ECE department at WPI. I have also held the positions of Vice President of Information Systems and Vice Provost within the WPI administration. In my early career my teaching and research primarily centered upon signal processing and its applications. I have been the recipient of 65+ research grants, funded by DARPA, ARO, NSF, DOJ, FEMA/DHS and the electronics, aerospace and medical industry. My sponsored research projects were originally focused on machine vision, radar, sonar, communications and network technology. Since 2000, my research projects and passion have centered on the development of a precision personnel locator system and other technologies to protect the lives of first responders. That work continues to this day with projects aimed at developing additional technology from toxic gas sensors to burn prevention sensors in order create a safer working environment for fire fighters. I have been awarded the WPI Trustees' Award for Outstanding Creative Scholarship, the WPI Trustees' Outstanding Teaching Award and WPI highest award, the WPI Chairman’s Exemplary Faculty award. My colleagues and I were also awarded the Massachusetts State Fire Marshall Service award in 2012 for our work on firefighter protective technology.
- machine vision
- automatic target recognition
- image fusion
- network computing
- computers in education
- BS, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1975
- MS, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1977
- PhD, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1981
- A. Cavanaugh, M. Lowe, D. Cyganski, J. Duckworth, “WPI Precision Personnel Locator System - Rapid Deployment Antenna System and Supporting Algorithms for 3D Precision Location,” ION ITM, Session A4: Urban & Indoor Navigation Technology 1, San Diego, CA., Jan. 25-27, 2010.
- V. Amendolare, D. Cyganski, R. J. Duckworth, "WPI Precision Personnel Location System: Synchronization of Wireless Transceiver Units". Joint Navigation Conference, Orlando, Florida, June 1-4, 2009.
- Jack Coyne, D. Cyganski, R.J. Duckworth, FPGA-Based Co-processor for Singular Value Array Reconciliation Tomography, "The Sixteenth Annual IEEE Symposium on Field-Programmable Custom Computing Machines", April 14-15, 2008, Palo Alto, CA.
- D. Cyganski, J. Duckworth, S. Makarov, W. Michalson, J. Orr, V. Amendolare, J. Coyne, H. Daempfling, J. Farmer, D. Holl, S. Kulkarni, H. Parikh, B. Woodacre, "WPI Precision Personnel Locator System," JSDE's Joint Navigation Conference, 2-5 April 2007, Orlando, Florida.
- D. Cyganski, J. Duckworth, S. Makarov, W. Michalson, J. Orr, et al., "WPI Precision Personnel Locator System - Indoor Location Demonstrations and RF Design Improvements." Institute of Navigation, 63rd Annual Meeting, Cambridge, MA, April 2007.
Labs and Centers
- 1999: Weston Hadden Professorship
- 1996: Trustees' Award for Outstanding Research
- 1990: Ichabod Washburn Alumni Award for Professional Achievement
- 1984: Trustee's Award for Outstanding Teaching
- 1982: First Joseph Samuel Satin Distinguished Fellow