Boynton Hall, President's Office
Dennis D. Berkey
- President and CEO
- Professor, Mathematical Sciences
Dennis Berkey was appointed President and CEO of Worcester Polytechnic Institute in 2004 following thirty years of service in higher education. He is an award winning teacher and the author of several mathematics textbooks. His published research is in applied mathematics, and his administrative posts have included department chair, dean of arts and sciences, and university provost. His academic degrees are all in mathematics (BA, Muskingum College, 1969; MA, Miami University, 1971; PhD, U. Cincinnati, 1974).
President Berkey serves on numerous boards including the U. Mass./Memorial Health Care, Inc., the Massachusetts Biomedical Initiative, the (Worcester) Research Bureau, the Massachusetts Mathematics and Science Initiative, and Leaders for Education. He is a member of the Massachusetts High Technology Council and has previously served as a trustee of Muskingum College, the Dibner Institute for Science and Technology, and the Huntington Theatre.
President Berkey enjoys active service to the City of Worcester and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. He was called upon recently to lead the (successful) search for the Superintendent of the Worcester Public Schools, to serve on the Governor’s new task force on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and to testify before the Massachusetts legislature in support of proposed reform legislation concerning public education. Nationally, he is currently leading the site visiting team for the reaccreditation of Harvey Mudd College, a premier engineering college in the Claremont, CA, cluster.
Previously a resident of Weston, MA, President Berkey currently resides in WPI’s president’s house in Worcester, MA, and maintains a second home in Cotuit, MA. He is married to Dr. Catherine Berkey, D. Sc., a biostatistician at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital. They have three grown children.
- PhD, University of Cincinnati, Mathematics 1974
- MA, Miami University, Mathematics 1971
- BA, Muskingum College, Mathematics 1969
President and CEO
- View the Office of the President website
President Berkey serves on numerous boards, including:
- The National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities
- Leaders For Education
- Massachusetts Biomedical Initiative
- Mass Mathematics and Science Initiative
- UMass Memorial Health Care
- Worcester Regional Research Bureau
- American Mathematical Society
- Mathematical Association of America
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- Sigma Xi
- American Association of Higher Education
- Algonquin Club of Boston
- Tatnuck Country Club
- Worcester Club
- First Wednesday (business leaders) Group (Worcester, MA)