Fuller Laboratories, 238
Elke Angelika Rundensteiner
- Director of Data Science
- Professor, Computer Science
- Affiliated with:
My research focuses on how to make use of data and information in an effective manner, towards achieving goals in business, scientific discovery, health services, or in personal endeavors. With the interconnectivity of the internet, the availability of computing power, and big data everywhere, access to the right piece of information at the right moment, possibly fused together from numerous information sources, remains one of the most critical capabilities that can set you apart from others.
Together with undergraduates, graduate students, post-docs, and other faculty, we strive to develop database, data mining and data visualization technologies to detect and explore important nuggets and patterns in massive data streams in real-time. Applications we target include fraud detection, medical tracking, emergency management, business intelligence, and event analytics. I love every moment working together with students and colleagues at WPI and in industry on these cutting edge research and project activities. In my spare time I like to go on vacation, travel the world, lay on a sandy beach, go shopping, do yoga and aerobics, hike, bike, and ski, and tinker with my flower and vegetable garden.
- Database Systems
- Data Streaming
- Big Data
- Monitoring and Tracking Applications
- Data Mining
- BS (Vordiplom), J.W. Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany.
- Master of Science Minor, Business, J.W.Goethe Univ. Frankfurt, Germany.
- MS, Computer Science, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida.
- Phd., Computer Science, University of California, Irvine, California.
- Di Yang, Elke A. Rundensteiner, Matthew O. Ward: Shared execution strategy for neighbor-based pattern mining requests over streaming windows. ACM Trans. Database Syst. 37(1): 5 (2012)
- Mo Liu, Elke A. Rundensteiner, Kara Greenfield, Chetan Gupta, Song Wang, Ismail Ari, Abhay Mehta: E-Cube: multidimensional event sequence analysis using hierarchical pattern query sharing. SIGMOD Conference 2011: 889-900
- Di Wang, Elke A. Rundensteiner, Richard T. Ellison: Active Complex Event Processing over Event Streams. PVLDB 4(10): 634-645 (2011)
- Di Yang, Elke A. Rundensteiner, Matthew O. Ward: Summarization and Matching of Density-Based Clusters in Streaming Environments. PVLDB 5(2): 121-132 (2011).
- Venkatesh Raghavan, Elke A. Rundensteiner: Progressive result generation for multi-criteria decision support queries. ICDE 2010: 733-744.
Labs and Centers
- WPI Chairman's Exemplary Faculty Price, 2010.
- EPTS Innovative Principles Award 2011
- WPI Trustees' Award for Outstanding Research and Creative Scholarship, 2007.
- Sigma Xi Outstanding Senior Faculty Researcher Award, 2007.
- NSF Young Investigator Award, 1994.