Higgins Laboratories, 211
- Adjunct Teaching Professor, Mechanical Engineering
In my career in industry, I saw many times that a lack of proficiency with fundamentals led to poor designs or a waste of resources. At WPI, I have a chance to pass along what I have learned to the students, thereby better preparing them for the engineering needed in today’s high-tech world. It is always gratifying to hear from a former student who is working on a problem in an engineering job, who tells me, “It was just the way you said it would be, so I knew how to handle it.”
Before turning to teaching, I worked at Textron Lycoming, where I was responsible for analysis and design of all components of gas turbine engines, including vibration analysis, static and dynamic stress analysis and thermo-mechanical creep fatigue life prediction using finite element analysis codes and closed form solutions.
Previously, I worked at The BDM Corporation, where, among other things, I performed detailed vibration analyses of a proposed space station-mounted centrifuge to minimize force transmission to the main space station platform under micro-gravity conditions.
- BSME Norwich University, 1977
- MSME University of Wisconsin, 1978
- MS Computer Science, 1981
- PhD Mechanical Engineering, University of Connecticut, 1985
- Jolley, W.O., J.R. Rencis, E.C. Cobb, and R.R. Hagglund, “A LEGO Project for Engineering Dynamics,” Presented at the ASEE Annual Conference. 2002.
- Dimentberg, M., E.C. Cobb, and J. Mensching, “Self-Synchronization of Transient Rotations in Multiple Shaft Systems,” Journal of Vibration and Control, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 221-232, February, 2001.
- Hoffman, J. and E.C. Cobb, “A Simplified Analytical Approach to the Response of Systems with Non-Linear Characteristics,” International Journal of Computers and Structures, 1994.
- Cobb, E.C., T.C. Cheu, and J. Hoffman, “Reduction of Excitation Forces Using Optimal Circumferential Placement of Cylindrical Thermocouple Probes,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 115, No. 2, pp. 418-423, April, 1993.
- Gartner, J.R. and E.C. Cobb, "Natural Frequencies and Bi-Planar Response of a Generalized Rotating Spindle System,” Journal of Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Vol. 3, No. 2, 1987.