Olin Hall, 120
Germano S. Iannacchione
- Associate Professor & Department Head, Physics
After my physics undergraduate and graduate education, I was fortunate to hold postdoctoral fellowship appointments in physics at Kent State University from 1994 to 1996 and in chemistry at MIT from 1996 to 1998, which gave me a broad perspective on interdisciplinary research. I joined WPI as an assistant professor of Physics in August 1998, in addition to maintaining a research affiliate appointment in the Center for Materials Science and Engineering at MIT from 1998 to 1999, where this perspective both broadened and deepened.
I was tenured and promoted to associate professor in 2004 and became head of the Department of Physics in April 2006, where I have been responsible for all administrative aspects of this department. Along the way, I was lucky enough to achieve an NSF CAREER Award (2001-2006); produce 74 peer-reviewed publications with 1,417 citations and an h-index of 20; and graduate six PhDs, seven MSes, 43 MQP projects, and 15 IQP projects. I continue to strive to be active in both my research and in leading Physics at WPI, and integrate the two through my teaching.
- Order-Disorder Phenomena in Soft Condensed Matter Systems
- Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena
- Experimental Studies Liquid Crystals, Polymers, Proteins, Biomaterials, and Complex Composites
- BS, University of Akron, 1987
- MS, University of Akron, 1990
- PhD, Kent State University, 1993
- A.R. Adhikari, Y.G. Georgiev, K. Sigdel, G.S. Iannacchione, K. Lozano, and M. Chipara. “Thermal behavior of poly(ethylene-co-propylene) containing carbon nanofibers,” Polymer Engineering and Science 52(2), 408-413 (2012).
- K. P. Sigdel and G. S. Iannacchione. “Effect of carbon nanotubes on the isotropic to nematic and the nematic to smectic-A phase transitions in liquid crystal and carbon nanotube composites,” European Physics Journal E 34, 34-43 (2011).
- K. P. Sigdel and G. S. Iannacchione. "Calorimetric study of the nematic to smectic-A phase transition in octylcyanobiphenyl-hexane binary mixtures,” Physical Review E 82 (5), 051702-8 (2010).
- K. P. Sigdel and G. S. Iannacchione. “Study of the isotropic to smectic-A phase transition in liquid crystal and acetone binary mixtures,” Journal of Chemical Physics 133, 174501-7 (2010).
- K. Sigdel and G. S. Iannacchione. “Evolution of the isotropic to nematic phase transition in binary mixtures of octylcyanobiphenyl and n-hexane,” Journal of Chemical Physics 133, 044513-7 (2010).
- NSF CAREER Award (2001-2006).
- Sigma Xi Young Faculty Research Award, WPI Chapter, April 2004.
- NSF Award DMR-0821292 (2008–2012).
- DR GSI. DIRECTED RESEARCH/GRADUATE
- MPE 510. CLASSICAL MECHANICS
- MPE 520. ELECTRODYNAMICS
- MPE 540. DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS IN NATURE
- MPE 550. COMPUTATIONAL METHODS IN PHYSICS
- MPE 560. EXPERIMENTAL METHODS IN PHYSICS
- PH 2101. PRINCIPLES OF THERMODYNAMICS
- PH 210X. PRINCIPLES OF THERMODYNAMICS
- PH 522. THERMODYNAMICS AND STATISTICAL MECHANICS
- PH 597. SPECIAL TOPICS