Kaven Hall, 208
John A. Bergendahl
- Associate Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Affiliated with:
John Bergendahl is an associate professor in the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at WPI. John has six years’ experience as a practicing engineer in industry, and holds a BS in mechanical engineering, an MS in environmental engineering, and a PhD in chemical engineering from the University of Connecticut. He conducted postdoctoral research in the Environmental and Water Resources Engineering Program at the University of Texas in Austin. His current research interests focus on increasing our knowledge of physical and chemical processes for enabling sustainable design of engineered systems.
John has authored and coauthored more than 70 peer-reviewed journal articles and professional presentations, one textbook, and has three patent applications. He has served on numerous EPA and TRB review panels and is on the editorial board for Soil and Sediment Contamination, An International Journal.
John is an inducted member of Chi Epsilon and Phi Kappa Phi and is a registered professional engineer in the State of Connecticut.
- Novel Physical and Chemical Processes for Water Treatment
- Sustainable Engineering Design
- BS, University of Connecticut, 1985
- MS, University of Connecticut, 1996
- PhD, University of Connecticut, 1999
- J. Bergendahl, ”Internet-Enabled Experiment for Demonstrating Contaminant Adsorption to Activated Carbon”, in Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, in press 2014
- John Bergendahl. Treatment System Hydraulics, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2008.
- L. Abu-Lail, J. Bergendahl, and R. Thompson. “Adsorption of Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether on Granular Zeolites: Batch and Column Studies,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, 178, 363-369, 2010.
- H. Wen, J. Bergendahl, and R. Thompson. “Removal of Estrone from Water by Adsorption on Zeolites with Regeneration by Direct UV Photolysis,” Environmental Engineering Science, 26, 319-326, 2009.
- J. Bergendahl and T. Thies, “Fenton’s Oxidation of MTBE with Zero-Valent Iron,” Water Research, 38 (2), 327-334, 2004.