- Professor, Social Science & Policy Studies
- Affiliated with:
- Director System Dynamics Program
Khalid Saeed is professor of economics and system dynamics. Widely recognized for his work on computer modeling and experimental analysis of developmental, organizational, and governance-related issues, he has written two books and numerous articles and book chapters on a variety of developmental and management agendas, including sustainable economic development, infrastructure planning, political economy, supply chain management, and system dynamics modeling.
He has previously held faculty positions at Asian Institute of Technology, Curtin University, Australia; Dartmouth College; Northeastern University; Lulea Technical University, Sweden; and Lahore University of Management Sciences, Pakistan. He has worked as a consultant with UN-ESCAP, UNDP, Asian Development Bank, World Business Council for Sustainable Development, Booz Alan Hamilton, US Veterans Administration, U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration, and McKinsey & Company, among other organizations.
At WPI, Saeed served as department head of Social Science and Policy Studies from 1997 to 2007. During this period, he developed new major programs in economic science, psychological science, and system dynamics, as well as initiated graduate studies in the department. He established an online offering of graduate curricula in system dynamics, which has developed into one of the most highly respected professional development programs in system dynamics in the world.
At the Asian Institute of Technology, he developed the concept, mandate, and resources for the development of a School of Management and a new program in Infrastructure Planning and Management, which he chaired. Furthermore, he served as the representative of a diverse and multicultural faculty to the board of trustees and received an honor citation from the board for his diligence and prudence in this role.
- System Dynamics
- Public Policy
- Economic Development
- Healthcare Delivery and Health
- BS, University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan, 1968
- MS, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand, 1975
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1981
- Saeed, K. 1998. Towards Sustainable Development, 2nd Edition: Essays on System Analysis of National Policy. Aldershot, England: Ashgate Publishing Company.
- Saeed, K. 1994. Development Planning and Policy Design: A System Dynamics Approach. Aldershot, England: Ashgate/Avebury Books.
- Saeed, K. 2009. Can trend forecasting improve stability in supply chains? A response to Forrester's challenge in Appendix L of Industrial Dynamics. System Dynamics Review. 25(1): 63-78.
- Saeed, K. and O. Pavlov. 2008. Dynastic cycle: A generic structure describing resource allocation in political economies, markets and firms. Journal of Operations Research Society. 59(10): 1289-1298.
- Saeed, K. 2004. Designing an Environmental Mitigation Banking Institution for Linking the Size of Economic Activity to Environmental Capacity. Journal of Economic Issues. 38(4): 909-937.
View a Complete List (.pdf, 301 kb)
- Jay Wright Forrester Award 1995
- AIT Board Honor Citation 1997
- President, System Dynamics Society 1995
- Associate Editor, System Dynamics Review, 1985-2000