Higgins Laboratories, 243
Michael A. Demetriou
Professor Demetriou is very active with the Controls and Systems research community. He served as an Associate Editor in the IEEE Tr. on Automatic Control (2004-2007), in the ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control (2009-2011), and in SIAM J. Control and Optimization (2009-present). He is also serving in the IEEE-Control Systems Society Conference Editorial Board as an Associate Editor (1997-present). In 2003 he established the IEEE-CSS Technical Committee on Distributed Parameter Systems and served as his first chair (2003-2012).
His research interests center around systems and controls: In particular theoretical and computational aspects of estimation and control for systems governed by partial differential equations; intelligent allocation and scheduling of actuators/sensors in distributed parameter systems; intrusion detection using mobile sensor and actuator networks; hybrid control of distributed parameter systems with switching/moving/scanning actuators & sensors; fault detection, diagnosis and accommodation of dynamical systems (lumped and distributed); adaptive estimation and control of finite and infinite dimensional systems; control of structural acoustic systems and fluid-structure interaction systems; active noise control; optimization in thermal manufacturing; damage detection and vibration control of flexible structures with intelligent sensors & actuators.
Research funding has been sponsored by AFOSR (Dynamics and Controls Program), ONR (Ocean, Atmosphere, and Space Sensing & Systems Division), NSF (DUE, CMS), NASA Massachusetts Space Grant Consortium, NASA (Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Tracking Systems and Applications Section).
- Adaptive estimation and control of flexible smart structures
- Robust control of fluid-structure interaction systems
- Fault detection
- Diagnosis and accommodation of dynamical systems
- Active noise control of cavities
- Optimal location of actuators and sensors in control problems
- BS, University of Southern California,1987
- MS, University of Southern California, 1989
- MS, University of Southern California, 1990
- PhD, University of Southern California, 1993
- "Synchronization and consensus controllers for a class of parabolic distributed parameter systems", M. A. Demetriou, Systems & Control Letters, 62 (1), pp. 70-76, 2013.
- "Adaptive control of 2D PDEs using mobile collocated actuator/sensor pairs with augmented vehicle dynamics", M. A. Demetriou, in IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, 57(12), pp.2979 - 2993, 2012.
- "Enforcing consensus on adaptive parameter estimation of structurally perturbed infinite dimensional systems", M. A. Demetriou, in IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, 57(12), pp. 3147 - 3152, 2012.
- "Dynamic on-line nonlinear robust detection and accommodation of incipient component faults for nonlinear dissipative distributed processes", M. A. Demetriou and A. Armaou , in International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, 22(1), pp. 3-23, 2012.
- "Switch-Mode Continuously Variable Transmission: Modeling and Optimization", J. Van de Ven and M. A. Demetriou, in ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, 133(3), 2011..
View a Complete List at Google Scholar
Labs and Centers
- Systems and Robot Control Laboratory
- Engineering Honors Program Award, University of Southern California, 1987
- Best Presentation Award, American Control Conference, San Francisco, 1993
- Eta Kappa Nu, Electrical Engineering Honor Society
- Tau Beta Pi, Engineering Honor Society
- Golden Key, National Honor Society
- AE 4713. SPACECRAFT DYNAMICS AND CONTROL
- DR MAD. DIRECTED RESEARCH/GRADUATE
- ME 3703. INTRO CONTROL OF DYNAMICAL SYS
- ME 4713. SPACECRAFT DYNAMICS & CONTROL
- ME 4733. GUIDNC, NAVIGTN, & COMMUNICTN
- ME 5203. INTRODUCTION TO CONTROL OF NONLINEAR DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS
- ME 591. GRADUATE SEMINAR
- ME 593. CONTRL OF NONLIN DYNAMC SYSTMS